Cam, am I ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam, am I ready?

97 3.8L Camaro w/ 2.5" Cat-back, CAI, aluminum driveshaft. OK, so I was thinking of getting LSD and 3.73's. I was given a trans-am rear-end but it has 2.73's in it. I figured I'd go ahead and say screw it and sell the thing and buy something else. So, I'm thinking it's cam time. I was thinking the ZZP VS Cam or the X-P Cam. The VS says it can be used with stock lifters, spring, and all, which would be nice. I don't want something that'll give me a huge gain, just something to give me a nice little advantage over other Camaros. I plan on running nitrous in the future (hopefully this summer), so I was lookinig for something that was N2O friendly. I've only got around $350-400ish to spend, and I'll be doing the install myself, along with my friend (owns a auto shop, so he knows what he's doing). I've done some searching and all, and was just wondering what you guys think. Should I go for this (preferably the VS Cam), or something else? I was also thinking that maybe we'd P&P heads ourselves while we have it apart. How long should that take?

TIA
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Cam, am I ready?

i think the cam is a good idea. A mild cam like that is fine really no matter how far modded you are already. As far as p&p, im a big advicator of LEAVE IT TO THE PROS. theres so much going there, i really dont think its a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
      i think the cam is a good idea. A mild cam like that is fine really no matter how far modded you are already. As far as p&p, im a big advicator of LEAVE IT TO THE PROS. theres so much going there, i really dont think its a good idea.
      Thanks man. ZZP says the VS cam will work with stock lifter, pushrods, retainers, and all, so it should just be a swap with my stock cam, right? As for P&P, he owns a Malibu wagon (running in the 8's, wheel standing on N2O) and a Monte Carlo (run's low 10's I believe on motor). He built the engine himself, along with installing everything. I'll see what he says, but I think he should be more than capable of P&P'n my heads. He's done it on his Monte I believe, along with his friend's Mustang (best run of 9.45).
      Last edited by RadRacer; 03-12-2007, 09:44 AM.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
        Thanks man. ZZP says the VS cam will work with stock lifter, pushrods, retainers, and all, so it should just be a swap with my stock cam, right? As for P&P, he owns a Malibu wagon (running in the 8's, wheel standing on N2O) and a Monte Carlo (run's low 10's I believe on motor). He built the engine himself, along with installing everything. I'll see what he says, but I think he should be more than capable of P&P'n my heads. He's done it on his Monte I believe, along with his friend's Mustang (best run of 9.45).
        What type of power gains is a cam that mild gonna get you?

Also, if your friend is capable of p&p'n 3800II heads then he might be able to get some buisness from this site :naughty:

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
        i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
        R.I.P. '07 Pats
        Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Why not just get some 1.9 ratio rockers if your planning on going with that mild of a cam?

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
          Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
          http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

1.9 rockers won't give him the edge that cam will. 1.9 rockers only give a little bump in lift to .4902 intake, .4845 exhaust.

That's not a very big gain at all compared to the cam, which changes duration as well as a much bigger lift.

Do you have an automatic or manual? An automatic will definitely need tuning.

I say go for it, but get springs. Either 105s or LS6 90#ers. Also get a new timing chain and retainers (of course)

I don't know what your goals or plans are, but if you're staying NA I suggest you also look at the Comp GT1 or maybe even the GT2. I have the GT2 and couldn't be happier.
            Last edited by Camarorulz; 03-12-2007, 08:25 PM.
            -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

I want something that's going to give me an edge right now, and an even bigger one once I get Nitrous. I'm planning on starting with a 50 shot of N2O, and eventually moving up to a 100 or even 120 shot (with tuning and FMU and all of course). What cam would you recommend then Camarorulz?
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Comment

The GT2 will work fine with nitrous, and it's a really nice NA cam. Kristen runs it on her Camaro with nitrous and has run some very nice times from what I've heard.

If you're going for a pure nitrous application, the X-P Hot Cam would probably be better. It requires about the same valvetrain modification as the GT2 and you will see more gains with N20. I would not recommend that cam if you want something that will perform NA though, I think the LSA is too high for an NA application. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You said you want something to give you an edge now, the GT2 will definitely do it. It's a mild streetable cam, with some lope, but it's not intolerable by any means. You will have to do more valvetrain modification though, and it will need tuning. Some have claimed to not need tuning, mine did, very badly.

Do a search for GT2 cam in this section, see what you think.

I put down 201 rwhp and 230 rwtq with this cam and a converter. The converter robs power on a dyno, so it should probably put out a little more with the stock converter.

You will want a converter and gears (is it automatic or manual?) to take full advantage of the cam. It's good you have an aluminum driveshaft, that will help.

If you want something a little less, take a look at the GT1. It doesn't throw any DTCs and is a little more mild. I've also heard good things about the Abbott Racing NA cam, it has 112 LSA instead of the GT2s 111, but it has a little more lift. I don't know how it performs on nitrous applications. My guess is better, given the higher LSA.
                Last edited by Camarorulz; 03-12-2007, 11:18 PM.
                -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

all what was posted is fine and dandy, but he's gonna choke the hell out of any cam without headers to replace those log manifolds he has now..
                  so, it answer the thread title, no, you're not ready....

Comment

I've got a 5-speed. I really wanted a cam that wouldn't need much tuning (I won't have enough for a mail-in tune and the cam). As for headers, I was thinking of askim my friend about some custom headers as well, but I'm not too sure. He does everything: tranny, motor, exhaust, intake, nitrous, wheels, body. I'd rather get a cam and choke it first, then get headers further down since they won't give me as big of a gain. I was hoping bery little to no other valvetrain mods right now as well (I'm not rich, so I'm doing it one piece at a time). Further down the road I may get new rockers and all, but at this moment I can't afford them really.
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                      all what was posted is fine and dandy, but he's gonna choke the hell out of any cam without headers to replace those log manifolds he has now..
                      if he stays with a mild cam, hes not gonna have problems, tho upgrading the manifolds will certainly open up a few more hp

Comment

Seems like you're trying to rush into getting a cam. I would just hold off and save your money and do it proper with the other valvetrain and tuning, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
                          Seems like you're trying to rush into getting a cam. I would just hold off and save your money and do it proper with the other valvetrain and tuning, etc.
                          he wont need to tune for a mild cam, and hes selected a cam that needs to valve train upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
                            As for headers, I was thinking of askim my friend about some custom headers as well, but I'm not too sure. He does everything: tranny, motor, exhaust, intake, nitrous, wheels, body. I'd rather get a cam and choke it first, then get headers further down since they won't give me as big of a gain.
                            Mods work together...so just getting a cam w/o the supporting hardware and w/o a tune will probably give you the same benefits as just getting headers, but getting all of them(cam, headers, tune) together will yeild much greater benefits

I was hoping bery little to no other valvetrain mods right now as well (I'm not rich, so I'm doing it one piece at a time).
                            haha...you think you're saving money by skimping on the valvetrain? Ever see the damage caused when a broken spring drops a valve? Yea, that's called a "new engine." So, here are your options:

1) Put up the couple hundred for good springs, lifters, etc
                            2) Abandon this, and put your money towards headers

Honestly, I think #2 is more your speed

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                              Headers next with a highflow cat and s-pipe.

LSD also needs to be before the cam, but doesnt have to be.

A cam is going to cost you more than 400 if you do it yourself. The cam itself will be over 300 after shipping and the gaskets will be atleast 100 dollars for upper intake, lower intake, and throttle body.

I also wouldnt do a cam with the stock springs and retainers, that's just asking for trouble.

Don't do it until you're ready to do it right. When you do a cam do a good cam because its a long install.

And I agree with Airattack...if you're looking for something easy to get decent gains look at 1.9 rockers. Plenty of people will pick up 12-15rwhp and they're a very easy install.
                              Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X