rebuilding motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuilding motor.

i need some help on a problem. my father and i just got done fixing a blown head gasket on the passenger side and then after a week the valves needed to be adjusted again. now i am leaking anitfreeze from the same side and i cant see it but i think it is in the dumb 3 way seal. i am gonna pull the motor this time to fix the problem so my car doesnt eat my hand up again. are there any suggerstions on things i can do to the motor to make it a little better on the umph factor?. i know it is a 1993 3.4 and nobody really makes much mods for that year/motor for some strange odd reason. but i was wondering if there are injectors or any reprogrammed ecu's or anything i could do. i have a crossover 80 on the exhaust side. which is a quieter version of the flowmaster40. but dual out the back. and was it a smart idea to even try to rebuild the top end with the motor in the car even? and what is the huge thing attached to the exhaust on that side? i dont want to make a race motor just a more powerful daily driver. looking to make about 185-200 from the motor.

Thanks.

what swaps are available for a camaro anyways? besides a 350 conversion?

Re: rebuilding motor.

If you don't want to get too involved with a swap , do a 3.8 swap into it and you'll be close to your 185-200 hp range. Be alot cheaper too.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yea i am trying to stay away from swapping the motor though. i kinda want to keep it stock.. i had a little oopsie a while ago and had a truck decide to go over the front passenger side of the car. so i am trying to fix the front end and the motor.. and i dont really make all that much money... lol.. need a better job i guess. but i am gonna pull the motor this time to fix the thing. i was just wondering since i got the motor out. what i could do. my budget of the rebuild is about 700 to fix whatever is wrong. and do some mods. i am gonna tear it down to the heads again and do it all over. i dont want to go as far as the cam thats just out of my range on mechanics on the 3.4L.. or fuel injection for that matter. i can do a v8 but not this v6.. it confuses me more and more each day.my iac is good but seems like it doesnt work. i fill the radiator about every other day with about a gallon of distilled water. and i can see it pumping out behind that dumb plate holding the power steering on... how much would a 3.8 be around? and are they as difficult as the 3.4 to work on if needed?

Comment

Not sure what 3-way seal you are talking about. I think the 60° motors are easier to work on in the car because the bank isn't as wide. I just tore mine down to the block and rebuilt it in the car. I would suggest a cam, gives you a real nice increase and it's really not that difficult, considering you've already had one of the heads off you're familiar with getting the intake manifold out. I did a write-up on my site.
        1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

the three way seal is where the block, 1/2 head, and intake manifold meet. since you have to silicone the whole head and manifold together. i did a good sized bead but it still is being poopy to me.. makes me kinda grumpy. but i still love it though i have had to do a lot to it. where can i get a good cam that would be economical? i dont want a huge lobe on the cam. is poor gas mielage a thing that all v6 camaros get? or is 18 a standard for most?

Comment

18 is not to bad for a 3.4 id either do a 3400 swap or port andd polish. what i did to my 3.4 was port and polish the tb cold air intake and a test pipe(have one for sale wrecked my camaro 25 + shipping) mine went up to 25 mpg and the power increase was very nice

Comment

i was planning on doing a port and polish on the heads. and i am thinking of a cam. not really sure if a cam is gonna do all that much for me. if i get a cam though i would have to change a bit more. work on the ecu and all that stuff. is there a way i can swap for a newer computer for the car to make it a little bit better on the chips. like could i go and buy a 95 cpu and see if it works. as long as i have the same manual and gear ratio. which i think mose t-5 do. would that work or who can actually get a 93 3.4 programmer? if they even exist.

Comment

as far as i know the 93 - 95 ecu is the same

Comment

I have the Comp Cams 260H and with 1.6 rockers it's got some lope at idle, really wakes up the motor above 3k rpm. There's several cams available for the 2.8/3.1/3.4 to pick from.

There's a sticky on the PCM, 93's are different than 94-95. Not sure if they're interchangable.
                  1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Yeah, definitely get a port and polish on the heads, and the intake as well while you're at it. And have you thought about headers? That would be a good little picker up because of the less restrictive stock headers. It won't/shouldn't affect your mpg any at all, possibly even improve it just the slightest bit.

And also for a few more add ons that will give it a little more pick up and response on take off would be a CAI and possibly a bigger TB(if they make one for the 3.4) And then the fun part, WEIGHT REDUCTION :)

Sorry if any of this information/advice is wrong, I am not positive when it comes to making desicions about 3.4's, I'm a 3.8 guy myself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X