1.8:1 rocker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8:1 rocker?

i was looking at some new rockers, and i saw an add saying that you could add almost 20 hp just by putting in 1.8:1 rockers with out a new cam. to me it all most sounds to good to be true but i don't know. i was looking at puting in a new cam but i am not that good yet but this i think i could handle but is it worth over all? could i damage my pistons? help clear up rummers please

Re: 1.8:1 rocker?

its true, by upping the ratio of your rockers you will gain hp, A cam will help you with power all thru out the band while rockers are mainly a high rpm power adder.

Comment

so would this be a good thing to do in the short term for a new cam. i was looking at a mild cam from comp cam 200/206 .310/.300 112 N/A or would a lower 1.7:1 work better or should i just wait untill i get the cam? also with this would i have to get new springs and retainers? and last thing would this be a good thing to start with experence wise with internal engine mods?
      Last edited by bullit70; 02-22-2007, 04:20 PM.

Comment

personally i would always go cam over rockers, I run 1.7's and a large cam and its beautiful, but you need to have the heads clearanced for that. In your case I would go with a mild cam over the rockers.

Will you NEED new valve springs and whatnot, probaby not....
        if the cam is truely mild and you do not adjust your shift points you will be just fine with stock. Of course upgrading your valve train certainly wont hurt you.

Comment

ok cool thank you for the info. i hope i can start the cam swap here when the wether gets warmer and there is no chance of rain (no shop) gives me some time but again thanks man

Comment

not a problem, feel free to email/im if you have any questions about the cam swap....i am on my 4th

Comment

why are you on your fourth?

Comment

swap stage 3 cam, eventualyl blew the motor, got a new motor, so i swapped out the cam in the new motor, the cam in my old motor, and a brand new bigger cam into the new motor.

Comment

o ok it got you hey with somthing i was thinking of is sence i want to do the cam i though about just going ahead and doing the heads to. were did you get your heads from and the intake? my plan is i am going to try to get as much power as possable with out a supercharger or nos and then when i get to that goal then the supercharger comes i don't know i know there is so much power to get out of this motor and it would be cool to pump out some numbers just turning out the key :banana:

Comment

I cant understand you
                    but his signature says that he got his heads and POSSIBLY intakes from Abbott
                    http://abbottracingheads.com
                    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by bullit70
                      o ok it got you hey with somthing i was thinking of is sence i want to do the cam i though about just going ahead and doing the heads to. were did you get your heads from and the intake?

you do realize it's about a $6-$700 jump from just doing a cam swap to a heads/intake work and a cam swap...?

Comment

you mean to pay a mechanic?
                        parts and labor?
                        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                          you mean to pay a mechanic?
                          parts and labor?
                          yea, unless the OP had the resources to port his heads and do intake work
                          in his garage

Comment

Originally posted by bullit70
                            my plan is i am going to try to get as much power as possable with out a supercharger or nos and then when i get to that goal then the supercharger comes
                            You can't do that, building up the naturally aspired motor nearly as fast as it can go, then slapping a supercharger/turbo/n20 on it is NOT a good idea.

You have to build the car for either n/a, n20, turbo, s/c, or combinations of 2 power adders. Unless you want to spend a crap load of money switching setups.

Like me, I have a supercharger/nitrous cam in my n/a motor, still makes great power, but when the time comes for a power adder I won't have to switch cams. The stall I'm getting will be a 3000, which is good for n/a but even better for supercharger/nitrous. see where I'm getting at.:banana:

But if you want to make life easy get the zzp 1.9 ratio aluminum roller rocker package with lightened pushrods and let us know how it is.

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
                            Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
                            http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X