gotta change some gaskets, thinking about a cam - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gotta change some gaskets, thinking about a cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gotta change some gaskets, thinking about a cam

so yeah here in the next couple weeks or so i have to replace my head gaskets and lower intake gasket, on that note i know i have to get new head bolts and i read on 1 of the posts that came up in my search rocker bolts/studs as well. is that true? any other bolts or studs i need replaced?

now to the real point of this post i searched and searched for the past week or so and i decided MABYE to go with a cam if i could find a good used 1 on 1 of these sites for really cheap cuz i figured you know while im in there im putting in some pacestters and doing a good tune up with ngk tr55s, msd 8.5s and msd coil packs:) i dont really have the money to be replacing new springs and rockers though so i thought about getting one more mild like:

CompCams 76-800-9: 192/200 .300/.310 110 N/A *(M) or
    CompCams 76-801-9: 200/206 .310/.300 112 N/A *(M)

do these sound okay to you guys? i mean my car is far from extreme with only a 3.8, k&n intake, soon headers, exhaust, aluminum ds, 180 stat, ported tb, and this summer i plan on saving up for a B&M shiftkit and a 3.42 or 3.73 posi w/ rear disc

let me know your guys' full and honest opinions on this, and sorry if i sound clueless still its just that ive never taken apart a whole motor and FULLY understand how it works, ive just read and researched as much as i possibly can and im pretty sure i can do it

Re: gotta change some gaskets, thinking about a cam

Originally posted by Chevy16
    so yeah here in the next couple weeks or so i have to replace my head gaskets and lower intake gasket, on that note i know i have to get new head bolts and i read on 1 of the posts that came up in my search rocker bolts/studs as well. is that true? any other bolts or studs i need replaced?
    yes,
    the stock head bolts are Torque 2 Yield meaning they are only used once
    so are the Rocker arm bolts

You can get reuseable bolts to replace them though..that way you never have to worry about replacing them again... I have some reuseable rocker arm bolts if ya want
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

yeah i was going to ask that how much do both sets of bolts usually run for? rocker and head? and how much for yours?

i want a cheap but good used cam if i can find one but that cam you listed recommends replacing the stall, dont wanna do that, do many ppl replace it w/ a better one? i dont remember reading anything about it..

Comment

Comp Cams is good, heres some other N/A cams:
        http://www.intense-racing.com/Mercha...egory_Code=HCV

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=123&catid=104

http://abbottracingheads.com/gm3800.htm

I know I'm not answering your question..sorry
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

yeah i was going to ask that how much do both sets of bolts usually run for? rocker and head? and how much for yours?

i want a cheap but good used cam if i can find one but that cam you listed recommends replacing the stall, dont wanna do that, do many ppl replace it w/ a better one? i dont remember reading anything about it..
          from autozone the un-reuseable head bolts are like $32 (yes, thats the cheapest place I can find for non-reusable head bolts)
          Guess autozone doesnt carry the rocker arm bolts?

I'll sell you either comp cams or harland sharp Never Used reusable rocker arm bolts for $15 shipped. They go for $19.99 plus tax and shipping on both zzp and intense!

You dont have to replace the stall...it just helps out the cam to make more power

Comment

ahh man thatd be great, whichever bolts you wanna sell me is fine with me for 15 bucks, if you give me you name and mailing address i can get a money order out to you on friday

and do you know if anyone is selling a used cam for a good price? i wish i could afford a new 1 right now but mabye i should just wait and save

Comment

i figured you know while im in there im putting in some pacestters and doing a good tune up with ngk tr55s, msd 8.5s and msd coil packs:)
              plugs, wires, and coils is just basic things of a Complete tune up
              Dont think you need to worry about coils unless their bad or Really old
              change things like PCV valve and fuel filter first! clean the air filter..etc
              I'd only change wires if they were really old or bad (thats just me cause my wires last Forever)

i decided MABYE to go with a cam if i could find a good used 1 on 1 of these sites for really cheap cuz i figured you know while im in there im putting in some pacestters
              doing a cam swap requires taking off the front cover / timing cover (you can do it anytime, you dont have to wait till your changing head gaskets)

Comment

If it were me (just from the ones I listed) I would either go with zzp or abbott's

Comment

if you're gonna spend the money for a cam, get something much bigger than 200/206 .310/.300 112....Try 218/218 .528/528 112, it required little tuning in a '98 camaro and got into the mid-13s

Comment

agreed, but thought he was trying to stay stock internals (besides the cam)

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                      agreed, but thought he was trying to stay stock internals (besides the cam)
                      I'm saying tho, an aftermarket cam isn't exactly cheap, so it's better he get his money's worth

Comment

A cam that mild isn't going to make much more power than stock. Going with a bigger cam and the necessary supporting internals is a much better route.
                        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

zzp is the only one that posts their #s
                          (I know these are overrated)
                          ""Look for gains of 20-30 HP depending on your car's current configuration with a drop of 1/2 sec in the 1/4 mile.""
                          Why not do something like nitrous or gears first?
                          PLEASE dont port your TB!! Dont even think about it

Comment

yea, no tb porting

and keep in mind if you do decide to up the cam (past mild)....its highly advised to up your valve springs.

Comment

as well as timing chain. ATLEAST a new OEM stocker, if you want to be cheaper instead of the double roller.

You can retain the factory balance shaft with the single roller oem

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X