N/A build Oppions and Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N/A build Oppions and Help

So I'm going to be building up my 2000 camaro for N/A mainly street and take it to the strip sometimes. I just want to get some of your views on my plan and ask for some help with supporting Valvetrain mods and some other such things. All in all I want it as streetable as possible. keep in mid this is "IN THE FUTURE". Please forgive the Newb things in here but I'm learning fast!

Engine:3.8l II,

160 termo

Come racing 4.2L stroker performance Kit: 4.2 Liter Performance Stroker Kit (1995-2004) is same as the 4.2 Liter Stroker Kit but includes our large piston pin version “I” beam forged 4340 steel connecting rods and custom made Wiseco forged aluminum pistons in either 10:1 plus compression ratio or 8.2:1 compression ratio design for normally aspirated or blower/turbo use. Great for street/strip normally aspirated or boost applications up to 12psi, includes all rings and bearings as well as full balancing to work with the GM L36 or equal aftermarket balancers and flywheels. I would be going with the 10:1 compression.

P&P Heads: ZZP is coming out with new AL heads but I also hear so is Come racing on FTV6. P&P upper and lower intake(only heard of abbot doing that never heard of ZZP).

Cam is from Come Racing "Sam" said "I prefer a dual pattern type
    normally for the stroker engine.The dual pattern extends rpm range a little
    further without hurting torque anywhere."
    He said to go with their CSBH-523- 222/224 at.50"- intake lift .507 exhaust lift .533 at 1.6:1 rocker-Lode at 113. I am ignorant about the supporting mods Like: what lifters, springs, retainer,push rods. More INFO on cam: Lopey idle. S.T-3 type dual purpose grind. Needs 10:1 Compression and improved induction. 2500-3000 Rpm hi stall converter and lower rear axle gears mandatory. Produces about 5% more than an equivalent tappet grind. Rpms Range 2500-6000.

Intake:lid,filter,slp cia,!MAF (done)

Exhaust:custom true dual 2.25 plezz no comments about this I think I have fought over this in like 5 threads now. (very close to done)

Rear end: stock LSD I have 3.42's but want 3.73 (AL. driveshaft)

Auto trans: Have one built by Performabuilt ( I think the first stage is good enough for my set up).Have a 2500 stall, now this seems really low of a stall when I look at dan and see he is getting a 3500 but Sam at COME racing said in a e-mail ".I would fit the 3.73:1 rear gears and keep the converter size smaller, like a 2500.Just my opinion. Stiffer gearing is better than a slippery converter for a true street car."

Suspension:Have not done alot of researching on this But I also am not so into taking a conor really really fast and I'm not going to autoX. I just want to keep myself safe and get this power to the grown. So I need alittle help here with selecting a Panhard rod, TQ arm, sway bars, shocks, springs, Braking and anything else I might need and if I dont need some of the things I list just let me know. Ooo and I dont want to lower it at all. I have Stock rims not going bigger and Goodyear Eagle GT hr P235/55R16 tires.

Ignition: iridium NGK TR55-IX plugs, MSD 8.5 wires, dont know if I'll get the coils heard they are not as good as stock in a different thread.(done tomorrow besides the coils)

Fuel Delivery: I havnt spoke to Sam on this but when I ask zzp about their stroker and gt3 cam they said if I go with their 33# injectors would this be appropriate for my setup? New pump?

Tuning: well I could get Hp tuners but I would have to teach myself and I tryed learing alitte on vipers page but nothing click. So I will be needing to do more research in this department but there is also dyno tuning but I would think in order for the to get the car to a dyno after the cam,stroker,ect I would need some sort of tune to get it running down the road.

I think thats it, plezz help me fill in any gaps I know in this stage of my life and the stage that my car(low modded) is in right now and my knowlege of cars isnt high and me going to college next year I prob dont really need to be thinking about 90% of this stuff, I would just like to have a plan down at least. Thanks for any and all comments.

Re: N/A build Oppions and Help

It looks like you've done the research. I would say skip the stroker kit and do some stage 3 heads and intake. If you want the compression just tell em what your looking for and they can customize em. Here's a link to a thread I started for my planned buildup http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=73717 that should give you some ideas and feedback. I got a 2000 with an auto too. It'll just give you an idea of feedback that I got. Good luck with it. Mine has fallen apart for at least a year or two so I'll enjoy reading everyone elses.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Suspension I would go with UMI performance's lca/panhard bar combo, along with their tunnel mounted torque arm and call it good enough for your needs. Umi has great products for awesome prices. You can get their lca's alone for like 99 bucks

You are also gonna need headers on that exhaust of yours to let that stroker breathe

performabuilt does great work with the trans, good choice

zzp alum heads are a boatload of money. Just get abbott stage3 heads/intakes

fuel delivery I would get in on that group purchase for the modified walbro fuel pump for the 99-02 fbody guys that is going on over at ftv6. Good price too and something that will even work with your current stock motor just fine.

Hp tuners, lots of peeps can help you learn. Everyone had to start somewhere. ;)
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Got a question about the headers. Since the stock headers on the 2000 are pretty tubular, are there any real gains to be had. In otherwise stock form all the way up to a full buildup? Will there be decent gains now or even with a full buildup. It just seems that since the stocks ones are pretty well designed there wouldn't be much to had. Sorry to jack a thread.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc
          Got a question about the headers. Since the stock headers on the 2000 are pretty tubular, are there any real gains to be had. In otherwise stock form all the way up to a full buildup? Will there be decent gains now or even with a full buildup. It just seems that since the stocks ones are pretty well designed there wouldn't be much to had. Sorry to jack a thread.
          always a "hot" topic and something that one person says there is gains, where others say not really, so I am not going there.

For the stroker build though it is needed, or for someone with a cam/heads/intakes, or FI and needs to get the air out of the engine as efficient/quickly as possible

Comment

I'm by no means trying to start anything just wondered if there were any facts to support one way or the other. What's your feeling about it? I know the benefit of headers on cars that come with log style manifolds and ceramic coated headers would provide a benefit in the dissipated temps of the engine. I really don't know one way or the other. Are the pacesetters a larger tube diameter than stock? if so than that would provide a real benefit when I, hopefully, step up to a power adder.

Comment

if someone goes FI, or gets into the engine then yes I would recommend headers. Bolt on car, I am on the fence with this yet. It used to be no don't bother but I dunno, if someone has hptuners they can unlock some more power out of headers

Comment

you're 17 and the first two items are gonna cost you over $7,000

deleted your MAF? unless going FI im not sure why you would chose to do so.

the list looks nice dont get me wrong, but there is a list like this every week, and nothing comes of it. I could be wrong about your financial situation, but that list is well over ~12K, what are your current mods?

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
                  the list looks nice dont get me wrong, but there is a list like this every week, and nothing comes of it.
                  Seriously...it seems like at least once a week, someone throws out a list like that, and to this date, i only know of a handful of 3.8's that have a cam, and even fewer that have PnP heads, and even less that have a stroker kit.

To the OP, find a NA cam and leave it at that...that's $700-$1000 that won't break the bank and give you alot of problems down the road.

Comment

I threw my list out there and thought I was going to have the money to do it this year. Long story short the home I bought didn't have near the equity I thought so the car, renovations and a number of other things had to take a back burner. Man I hate reality, this sucks when can I come back as a bird or something.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X