lq4 6.0l engine swap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lq4 6.0l engine swap ?

besides telling me its easier to buy a v8 what would it take to make this work in my car http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VORTE...spagenameZWDVW
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Re: lq4 6.0l engine swap ?

a lot......

that flywheel's gotta go. lol.

Comment

LQ4 will work. I think you'll need to change out the intake manifold though. Check LS1Tech because they have lots of info on the LQ engines.
      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

yes i believe the manifold go's to the ls1 style
        1997 Camaro LS1 RS
        1994 Camaro - Sold
        1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Just move up to the 90mm fast composite intake and throttle body then. It's a little less than the cost of the crate engine
          Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Those water pumps suck, i have a 2006 5.3 engine, it looks like the same water pump i have but im not sure. Where the top hose goes into the pump it is like a pressed in fitting, you can see the shiny top and the matte pump. Right there is were they leak, my truck is brand new and its leaking already at 3000 miles, but the dealer wont give me a new water pump for me to install, they want to install it. This is my virgin engine and i dont want any teenage kid ****ing with it. I tryed to explane to them, they can let me install the water pump my self, ill even bring back the old one to them, or they can install a new engine with it burns up.
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

For the hassle and the cost of it, I'd just do an LS1 swap ;)

Better yet, an LS2. But I guess the price is right.

I second guess the seller's description of the engine though when he says this...

"The 6.0L Vortec is a de-bored and de-stroked cast iron version of the LS1 small block. "

A de-bored and de-bored, iron version of the LS1 would make a smaller-displacement, heavier engine if I'm not mistaken.
              LS1 = 5.7L
              LQ4 = 6000cc = 6.0L.

Bigger displacement than the LS1. Maybe it's a cast-iron version of the LS2 6.0L found in the GTO? With 100hp less rated power I'd guess the difference lies mostly in the heads and valvetrain.

It'd be a nice swap for the added torque but I think an LS1 would be more cost-effective, let alone easier since they come stock in F-bodies. Also consider the vast aftermarket for the LS1.
              \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

there so much more that goes into this so called "swap"

new transmission
                New fuel lines
                New computer
                New speedometer
                tubular K member (maybe oil pan may not clear the old one)
                New exhaust
                new front suspension
                new motor mounts

....rough list.

Comment

Alot of custom fabrication too I bet. Custom headers to clear the Camaro's steering rack, firewall and whatnot which I am sure is different from that of the truck. LT1 front suspension would probably work fine since the LT1s iron block probably weighs in the same ballpark as the LQ4.

Stock manifolds could probably fit but well, they're iron manifolds. ;)
                  \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Engine and Transmission
                    PCM and Wiring Harness
                    K-Member and Motor Mounts
                    Radiator
                    Coolant and Heater Hoses
                    Steering Rack and Linkage
                    Throttle Cable
                    Custom Fuel setup
                    Custom Wiring Harness

any other misc parts, looks like the motor has no acc's on it. Go ls1/ls2 and have it fit like a dream.

http://dxsoftware.com/magnus/v8swap.htm
                    Last edited by Cam; 01-05-2007, 08:41 PM.
                    Red 98 A4 Firebird<br />..its pretty..<br />- - - - - - - - - <br />6 Infinity 3-way speakers with Alpine deck and 720 watt Kenwood amp..

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyC
                      For the hassle and the cost of it, I'd just do an LS1 swap ;)

Better yet, an LS2. But I guess the price is right.

I second guess the seller's description of the engine though when he says this...

"The 6.0L Vortec is a de-bored and de-stroked cast iron version of the LS1 small block. "

A de-bored and de-bored, iron version of the LS1 would make a smaller-displacement, heavier engine if I'm not mistaken.
                      LS1 = 5.7L
                      LQ4 = 6000cc = 6.0L.

Bigger displacement than the LS1. Maybe it's a cast-iron version of the LS2 6.0L found in the GTO? With 100hp less rated power I'd guess the difference lies mostly in the heads and valvetrain.

It'd be a nice swap for the added torque but I think an LS1 would be more cost-effective, let alone easier since they come stock in F-bodies. Also consider the vast aftermarket for the LS1.
                      actually the lq4 is a bored 5.3 motor :)

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                      Or this

Comment

haha, quite the opposite (in a way) of how the seller described it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X