Can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can it be done?

Is it possible to get 160whp-170whp with just full boltons, a/c delete, and a cam out of a 3.4l auto firebird?
    3.4l 500hp to wheels <br />still dreaming

Re: Can it be done?

what cam?
    <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

cams come in too many shapes and sizes to be summed up in one word. You need to specify which one

Comment

Im not sure as of right now still researching, what is yalls suggestion for one to get to that whp level or higher?

Comment

again, cams are not that simple. If you're just looking for a peak hp number, you're still gonna have dozens of cams to pick from. Here's a few questions you're gonna have to answer before we can answer your question:

Where do you want your powerband?
          Is your car staying NA?
          If not, what type of power adder are you going to put on?
          Do you have access to a tuner?
          Are you keeping stock heads?
          Is streetability a concern?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
            again, cams are not that simple. If you're just looking for a peak hp number, you're still gonna have dozens of cams to pick from. Here's a few questions you're gonna have to answer before we can answer your question:

Where do you want your powerband?
            Is your car staying NA?
            If not, what type of power adder are you going to put on?
            Do you have access to a tuner?
            Are you keeping stock heads?
            Is streetability a concern?
            Answers in order of questions.

1. middle rpm range
            2. yes
            3 no
            4. would like to keep stock heads
            5. would be my daily driver.

Comment

Yes, it's possible.
              1995 Bluish green 3.4l Camaro.<br />Bone stock right now lol!<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355</a>

Comment

well, since you don't have access to a tuner, streetability is gonna be virtually non-existant with any decently sized cam. Your car is gonna pull alot of KR and thow codes like crazy, which is the fastest way to fail any state inspection. Because you're limited in how big of a cam you'll be able to run and that you won't be able to retune the computer, gains are gonna be negliable...not worth the $600+ needed for just the hardware for a cam install

Comment

$600+? That is if you are getting a shop to do it for you. Doing the work yourself is a money saver on a cam. All the things I need for my NA cam and doing the work, I'm still staying under $500.

Edit: And yes, it is possible to reach that amount of rwhp with bolt-ons.

Comment

Yes it can be done.. been there.. done that.. sold the car. It was very streetable although long distance road trips were a pain.. the car would start to heat up at stoplights because the tranny would get hot from the stall (yes I had a tranny cooler) Around town the car was awesome though.. very fun.. I did a comp cam..it was Ammperformance...I think it's www.fttp.net now...dur. 226/236 with lift .463/.474 .. and then I did split ratio rocker arms by harland sharp to bring the lift to .494/.474 leaving the exhaust with a 1.5 full roller rocker and the intake with a 1.6 full roller rocker, LSA112. It was a pretty large cam.. but it ran well and with the stall was only noticable in power and sound... gas mileage was less than good since I had a high stall converter rated 3600-3800 and I was running 3.73 gears as well... I did change the valve springs and ported the heads lightly and match porting the upper and lower intakes to some opened up gaskets. The car was fun and its within the scope of reason to make 170 to the wheels.. In fact i think..john montegi.. I cant remember his name.. but he made 172 to the wheels and 94camaro.. I can't believe his name has escaped me either.. but he did the hybrid 3400 top end swap and made 170 to the wheels and then upgraded to newer better flowing aluminum heads and intakes making just over 200 I think... not too sure on that one.. don't remember, but I think he did. Anyways I haven't posted on the boards much because of flaming.. and what not.. so I just figured that I would type way to much and bore most everyone.. if you have any questions on the set-up I could write a list of things I had done and send it to you.. Thank you.. and I hope this helped somewhat
                    Slammed, Cammed, Stalled, Rollin on ZR1\'s and the sickest exhaust you have ever seen on a camaro Z06 style whoo whoo.<br />I\'m the reaper dude, ask ur people dude. I move

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
                      $600+? That is if you are getting a shop to do it for you. Doing the work yourself is a money saver on a cam. All the things I need for my NA cam and doing the work, I'm still staying under $500.
                      camshaft- $300
                      stronger springs- at least $90
                      modified retainers- $40
                      cam install kit- $80

yup, $510 so far just doing the bare minimum...and if you end up having to pull the heads cuz you dropped a valve, add more for replacing the head gaskets and getting head bolts...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X