I just ordered my exhaust, now waiting for the heads, what do you think so far? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just ordered my exhaust, now waiting for the heads, what do you think so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just ordered my exhaust, now waiting for the heads, what do you think so far?

Well I have my Pacesetter coated headers, now I ordered a full coldair intake from the TB down under the car with K&N, Magnaflow/Carsound cat 3"in/3"out, the 3" S-pipe from SLP and the tubing to go back to a Summit Turbo 3" single outlet muffler. Puttin' that on with my new 4k mile engine, ported&polished heads and soon to get some matched port&polished intakes and possibly a GT2 cam, springs (Either 110# or 130#), injectors (im thinking 28#), double roller timing chain setup if necessary and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. Also lookin' to get a tune somewhere, maybe I'll just buy HPtuners and learn how to use it. What do you think so far, any suggestions?
    \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Re: I just ordered my exhaust, now waiting for the heads, what do you think so far?

Don't remember if you have the sport package or not, or what size gears you have so I'm going to say..............bigger gears, lsd (if you don't already have it) and start looking at your suspension a little bit and brakes.

It's good to go fast, but you need something that will ride smoothly with the speed, and you are going to want to be able to bring the car to a stop at some point, and what better way to do that with some good brakes :)

Comment

Re: I just ordered my exhaust, now waiting for the heads, what do you think so far?

haha very true, I have some nice slotted rotors up front that are much thicker than what was in there to begin with, but I do plan on upgrading to those 98+ Z28 calipers with the dual pistons. I've got the Y87 package with 3.23 gears (It's a 5speed), so 3.73 gears will most likely be the choice. Definitely looking into suspension options, I'd like to lower it for performance but retain as much of a stock look as I can ;) Hopefully next spring I will have some videos from atco or englishtown puttin' down some low 13s!

Still unsure about injector sizes for the GT2 cam and how heavy I should go with the springs, I'd like 7000rpms but also unsure of if an L36 bottom end will dislike that speed
      Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-31-2006, 02:19 AM.
      \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyC
        haha very true, I have some nice slotted rotors up front that are much thicker than what was in there to begin with, but I do plan on upgrading to those 98+ Z28 calipers with the dual pistons. I've got the Y87 package with 3.23 gears (It's a 5speed), so 3.73 gears will most likely be the choice. Definitely looking into suspension options, I'd like to lower it for performance but retain as much of a stock look as I can ;) Hopefully next spring I will have some videos from atco or englishtown puttin' down some low 13s!

Still unsure about injector sizes for the GT2 cam and how heavy I should go with the springs, I'd like 7000rpms but also unsure of if an L36 bottom end will dislike that speed
        the Y87's had 3.42s, not 3.23s. Lowering a car does virtually nothing for a car's performance...you can get stiffer shocks and still have the stockish ride height. the strength of the springs is more determined by the lift on the cam. LS6(90#) springs are good for .550" lift, so if your cam falls under that, buying 110# or 130# would be serious overkilll. Probably going to need bigger injectors than 28# if you have PnP heads and intake

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
          the Y87's had 3.42s, not 3.23s. Lowering a car does virtually nothing for a car's performance...you can get stiffer shocks and still have the stockish ride height. the strength of the springs is more determined by the lift on the cam. LS6(90#) springs are good for .550" lift, so if your cam falls under that, buying 110# or 130# would be serious overkilll. Probably going to need bigger injectors than 28# if you have PnP heads and intake

if you are still going S/C, yes I would go with bigger injectors...and you MUST have hptuners.

Comment

manual cars do keep the 3.23:1 gears. nah im not going to go s/c just yet though... only reason im lookin at 105# springs is for higher rpms, lookin' to get all i can out of the gt2 cam. As far as loweing, I figured a lower center of gravity would be a good thing. You can put stiff shocks on an SUV but it will still handle like an SUV in terms of rollover resistance lol. it wouldnt be slammed but i would like stockish ride height, maybe an inch lower because it'd be barely noticable

Comment

Well I have my Pacesetter coated headers, now I ordered a full coldair intake from the TB down under the car with K&N, Magnaflow/Carsound cat 3"in/3"out, the 3" S-pipe from SLP and the tubing to go back to a Summit Turbo 3" single outlet muffler. Puttin' that on with my new 4k mile engine, ported&polished heads and soon to get some matched port&polished intakes and possibly a GT2 cam, springs (Either 110# or 130#), injectors (im thinking 28#), double roller timing chain setup if necessary and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. Also lookin' to get a tune somewhere, maybe I'll just buy HPtuners and learn how to use it. What do you think so far, any suggestions?

Remember that the counter-balance shaft will not work with a DR timing chain - need to address that issue. If you go with a good SR chain you can use 105# max springs.

Injector size is based on HP output.

http://engine.firebirdv6.com/formulas.html

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

manual cars do keep the 3.23:1 gears. nah im not going to go s/c just yet though... only reason im lookin at 105# springs is for higher rpms, lookin' to get all i can out of the gt2 cam. As far as loweing, I figured a lower center of gravity would be a good thing. You can put stiff shocks on an SUV but it will still handle like an SUV in terms of rollover resistance lol. it wouldnt be slammed but i would like stockish ride height, maybe an inch lower because it'd be barely noticable
                Look at your RPO sticker. If it says "Y87" then it will say "GU6," the RPO code for 3.42 gears. On ZZP's site, it says that for RPMs above 6200, 90# is sufficient. LS6 springs come from the factory designed to go to 6500 RPM with a cam that has .550" lift, so the springs can handle going to 6500+ on a cam that has only .507" lift. "Rollover resistance" and "F-body" don't belong in the same sentance. If you flip your F-body, an inch lower stance isn't gonna prevent that. If you're looking for sharper, more responsive handling, your money is better spent getting stiffer tires.

Comment

he has a manual so he has 3.23, autos have 3.42 i think it has all the info here
                  http://tech.firebirdv6.com/general.html
                  1999 Camaro Z/28
                  1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
                    he has a manual so he has 3.23, autos have 3.42 i think it has all the info here
                    http://tech.firebirdv6.com/general.html
                    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...p_year_to_year
                    http://www.f-body.org/tech/4th_gen.htm

^two sources that say the Y87 can have 3.42s. To the OP, take a good pic of your RPO sticker and end this

Comment

Manual has 3.23s.

The Y87 package became available during this model year, including rear 11.4" disc brakes, an Auburn brand LSD, wider tires (235 versus 215), dual exhaust, and automatics were granted 3.42 gearing

Automatics ;)

Comment

I may be blind but what did you say the year and make of your car is?

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
                        '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
                        '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

1997 Camaro with the Y87 performance package... I take this quote from http://tech.firebirdv6.com/general.html

Y87 3800 V6 Performance Package
                          The Y87 3800 V6 Performance Package upgraded the vehicle with Auburn limited slip differential (same differential used on V8 models), 11.4" single-piston caliper rear disc brakes (same rear brakes as V8 models), a dual outlet muffler, a quicker 14.4:1steering ratio (same ratio as V8 models), 235/55-16 tires. The Y87 package also gave automatic cars 3.42 rear gears, whereas the manual cars but kept the 3.23 rear gears.

;)

Comment

Alright, lets say that you do have 3.23s...why would you want 3.42s? Gas mileage can't be your concern if you're getting a cam, PnP heads and intake.

Comment

im pretty sure all M5's have 3.23's regardless of y87 or not.

edit: and i thought he said he wanted 3.73's, not 3.42's? going to 3.42's would be pointless and not worth while at all.
                              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X