Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options?

I have a 94 3.4L motor that I picked up for $175, it came with the manifolds, ecu, wiring harness, EVERYTHING. But it also came with a blown rear lower intake gasket, and 180K miles. I am not really interested in having a super fast motor (I have my Z for that), I want something bombproof, something that I can drive across the country with multiple times and not worry about. That said, I'm considering 2 options.

1) Get a remanufactured longblock and just send in this core and use all the accessory parts I have left over to have a complete motor.

Remanufactured block - $1450

2) Get a rebuild kit and have a shop rebuild it. (with this one, I have only seen rebuild kits in the low $500's, and I bet labor is more than $1K for this sort of job, so it is probably a more expensive option than #1

What would you guys do? Do you know of cheaper prices on either the reman. block or the rebuild kit? Thanks!

Re: Options?

Bump, anyone?

Comment

I would go the cheaper route and get a GM reman. besides, they comes with a warranty and less likely of a ****up compared to a mechanic.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

What's the cheapest place any of you know of to get a remanufactured 3.4L long block? Thanks in advance.

Comment

anyone at all?

Comment

checker automotive (if you have one around you) sells remaned engines. You cheapest bet might be getting a low mileage motor from a junk yard.

Comment

dont buy a checker reman if your looking for reliable there rebuilds are all out of spec i would rather reseal the intake and use the 180k moter than a checker reman. goto gm or to a junk yard thats the best bets

Comment

just get a new motor off ebay that works? they are cheap as hell. Ive seen them for around 600.
                Red 98 A4 Firebird<br />..its pretty..<br />- - - - - - - - - <br />6 Infinity 3-way speakers with Alpine deck and 720 watt Kenwood amp..

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                  just get a new motor off ebay that works? they are cheap as hell. Ive seen them for around 600.
                  most of em are local pick up only, and if not, you'll get raped on shipping.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                    Low Voltage
                    by Vladimir Gecko
                    I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                    10 hours ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    6 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X