3.4 to 3800 series III engine swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 to 3800 series III engine swap?

Hi! Im new here, and i got a 95` Firebird whit 3.4 and a 5-speed manual.

I wondered if i could "bolt" in a series II or III supercharged engine? Will it bolt directly up to the transmission? The pulley system and such is of course different, but the motor-mounts? If it is the same block as an 3.8 f-body engine it would bolt on? The supercharger is maybe a bit too high for clearance? But thats just an excuse for a centrifugal-supercharger..... right :tup: :tup: :burn: 260 hp bolt in would be fine by me though... :banana:

Re: 3.4 to 3800 series III engine swap?

udlose98 is swapping in a series iii 3.8 into his 3.8 car.

i dont think hes mentioned anything about different motor mounts or transmission stuff.

im sure it could be done.

the 3.4 uses a different kmember than the 3.8 so youd need to change that. i think the transmission bellhousings are the same but manuals use different clutches iirc.

i dunno about fueling that would most likely not be the same.

the problem is with all the work and cost involved, why not swap an lt1?
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

Yeah, i really dont now what i want yet, but if im going for V8 then i would go for an LS engine. Buy a whole car thats newer and swap everything..

I live in Norway so taxes are really really high here, so then i gotta buy a Car from U.S.A. Wich is probably smart to do, but its also nice whit a brand new engine from GM Performance!! Whats most doable? A supercharged 3800 III engine or LS (probably LS1) swap. Now i need to go to bed, the clock is 01.21 here.... tired... cant think clear.. :burn:

Comment

Turbocharge your 3.4 it will be much easier !

Comment

Originally posted by notsonic
          u

the 3.4 uses a different kmember than the 3.8 so youd need to change that. i think the transmission bellhousings are the same but manuals use different clutches iirc.
          the 3.4 and 3.8 use the same crossmember, and the same tranny but the bellhousing and clutch are different(same pattern on the bellhouse mind you but diferent starter pockets and throwout bearings)

a fwd 3800 will need the rwd front cover and oil pan, and a supercharged 3800 II would need 2 180* elbows fabbed up to bring the TB and thermostat to the front
          Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Originally posted by wolf
            the 3.4 and 3.8 use the same crossmember, and the same tranny but the bellhousing and clutch are different(same pattern on the bellhouse mind you but diferent starter pockets and throwout bearings)

a fwd 3800 will need the rwd front cover and oil pan, and a supercharged 3800 II would need 2 180* elbows fabbed up to bring the TB and thermostat to the front
            i was under the impression that the cross members were different. (since bmr's crossmembers say theyre only for the 3.8)

but thatd be cool if its the same.

yeah looks like GM has two different part numbers for the 3.4 and 3.8 cross member.

10438424 3.8l $349.42
            10245745 3.4l $193.63
            Last edited by notsonic; 11-03-2006, 11:04 PM.
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

Originally posted by notsonic
              i was under the impression that the cross members were different. (since bmr's crossmembers say theyre only for the 3.8)

but thatd be cool if its the same.
              motor mounts are different but the x member is the same, the bmr has the mounts built in thats why it says 3.8 only
              Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

3800 III? what cars do those come out of? ive never heard of a III b4

Comment

newe GP's, abnd whatever else offerings that came w/the 6
                  1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                  94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by 96greenmachine
                    3800 III? what cars do those come out of? ive never heard of a III b4

my 99 firebird has that.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty
                      my 99 firebird has that.
                      no it doesn't it has the II unless you changed it
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=97rs4life]no it doesn't it has the II unless you changed it[/QUOTE

ah **** ma bad....it all rusted and it looked like it said III

woops

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          4 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X