possible cause of my engine's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible cause of my engine's death

I was looking at the heads today when I noticed something i hadnt seen before, one of my valve springs was totally cheweed up on top, the vavle itself had worn away on top. The roller tip of my pro mags was missing a large chunk. and on top of it all the valve seal was up by the lock. these are abbott heads that have been in for less than 3K miles. Sounds like a major problem.

Re: possible cause of my engine's death

sounds like a faulty product
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

and the pics..........

Comment

The rocker arm broke and that caused the problems. The springs and retainers aren't just gonna chew themselves up when everything is correct. Look on the rocker arm pedestals, its apparent the rocker arms have been rubbing the heads. I have a set of ZZP's rockers here in the shop and the way they put the rockers together, there is no way they're not in a bind. And when things are in a bind, they break.
        <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

you think I should talk to ZZP/Comp Cams about replacing everything?

Comment

Once WickedSix pointed out the wear marks on the intake/exhaust rocker pedastals of that last cylinder it does look like a faulty design of the rockers. Wonder why those did it but the one immediately to the right in that picture did not? Is there supposed to be a spacer on those or something? Or were these rockers not designed for this head?

<edit> Nevermind, I see in the second pic it looks like all of the pedastals are worn from the rockers rubbing. Judging by how the divets are aligned, the rocker had turned and was not even contacting directly on the top, but was hitting the side of the retainer with the edge of the rocker. So were these the correct rockers for the head?
            Last edited by FunkZ; 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM.
            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
              you think I should talk to ZZP/Comp Cams about replacing everything?
              I don't think its Comp's fault. I think ZZP does their own modifications to the rocker arms to make them work on the 3.8. The set of 1.7 Pro Mag's I have here in the shop are put together crooked to where you can't get a bolt in them with out it being bound up.
              <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

we didn't like the idea of there being no pedastal or anything at all. but thats how they came and that's how we were told to put them on.

i didnt know zzp mod'd them to fit the 3.8's.

I guess it's time for a call to zzp.

Comment

on the phone with them right now.

Comment

There should have been some pedestals with them. The ones I've got here have them.

Comment

I recieved NO pedestals and even called to confirm they do not use them, they said NO! man i am getting pissed about this.

It looks like they will replace the rocker, BUT NOT! the valve spring, locks, retainer or valve iteself, which is bull ****.

Comment

Yeah I think you should have reused the factory pedastal...
                        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Originally posted by AZ3.8Camaro
                          Yeah I think you should have reused the factory pedastal...
                          The Pro Mag's won't fit the factory pedestal. They're supposed to come with some custom pedestals from ZZP.

Comment

Originally posted by WickEdSix9838
                            The Pro Mag's won't fit the factory pedestal. They're supposed to come with some custom pedestals from ZZP.

well i posted it on my forum(clubgp) since everyone deals with zzp. we'll see what others say. not sure how many people have the pro mag's though. Maybe zooomer will chime in since he's back from sema

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

^^ definitely look at that. good replies very quick.
                            Last edited by blown00; 11-07-2006, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Wow, I hadn't seen those before.
                              Hmmm...
                              Well, bottom line is ZZP is covering up for not including instructions for the kit.

I have had NO good experience with them so far.
                              I ordered a gasket set and got the wrong one.
                              I also got the wrong crank bolt, which they insisted was the only crank bolt made for the 3.8 ever. Zooomer even said that I would be called an idiot if I posted about it. Turns out he was right, that was the proper crank bolt.... FOR THE L67, just like the L67 gasket set he sent me, including the charger gasket.
                              It was 2X too long (maybe it would fit the pre 97 NA motors, I dunno) but it would not even thread into the crank enough. So I said f*ck it. I will NEVER buy anything from them again.
                              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X