3.8 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 Conversion

i am looking to convert my 99 firebird (3.8 seriesII v6 w/y87) from the v6 to a built carborated 327. my main concern is with all the sensors, and the computer controlled v6. is anyone sure what i am going to have to change or maybe someone could direct me to a helfpul website for this type of conversion??

Re: 3.8 Conversion

camaroz28.com or ls1tech.com
    I'm sure it wont be hard at all compared to other swaps
    this is more mechanical "other swaps" are more electrical
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I would think its gonna be a big PITA...I think theres gonna be distributor clearance issues....and what about ABS? are you gonna want that to work?

Comment

why not go with an ls1?

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
        Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
        http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

I would definately rather put in an LT1 / LS1
          but 327 has got to be cheaper... its carbed so less electronics to deal with.
          I dislike distributors though
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Don't use a distributor. Install a crank fired ignition system.

What about the transmission. Auto or Manual?

Manual should be a piece of cake but for auto you will have to use a 700R4 cause the electronic shift 4L60E won't work.
            Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

i did wanna go with the ls1 swap. however i found a good deal on the 327 through a friend. im not too hot about the idea of a carb either. also i know its been barely driven, and i have a good idea of its history. its newly rebuilt. i would like to keep all electronics. so thats where my concern lies. i know you can reprogram the computer for an ls1, however how is it goin to work with a 327?

Comment

Bill's done some good work w/a carb in a 4th gen

http://www.bratmotorsports.com/96turboformula.htm

turbo placement is interesting
                Last edited by 3.4 slow to go; 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM.
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

can you reprogram a v6 pcm to work for an ls1? i doubt it

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                    can you reprogram a v6 pcm to work for an ls1? i doubt it
                    No way.
                    1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Joshschicken38
                      . i would like to keep all electronics. so thats where my concern lies. i know you can reprogram the computer for an ls1, however how is it goin to work with a 327?
                      do you mean get a ls1 computer and use it on a 327?

Originally posted by ChronoGN
                      No way.
                      exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Joshschicken38
                        i am looking to convert my 99 firebird (3.8 seriesII v6 w/y87) from the v6 to a built carborated 327. my main concern is with all the sensors, and the computer controlled v6. is anyone sure what i am going to have to change or maybe someone could direct me to a helfpul website for this type of conversion??
                        I hope that 327 is built or your only going to get about 10 more HP from a basic carbed 327 over a slightly moded and tuned 3.8 .

Comment

Good Point!!
                          The 3.8 will get better gas mileage MPG, and its probably slightly lighter/smaller

Built doesnt really add Any HP/TQ at all
                          Depends on how its "Built"

Comment

If your trying to get the FI to work with the 327, itll never work. If your running the carb and manual trans, your all set. Youll need to change the fuel pump for the carb.

Comment

my real concern was the computer issue...however the guy put it into a different car anyhow...thanks for all the advice though....much appreciated. anyone know any good places to start looking for an ls1, ebay doesnt seem to have many good deals, dont know how much i trust buying off ebay either?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X