Oil change light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil change light

this isnt so much a problem but its more irritating than anything, couple months back the oil change light came on and i was like wow cool didnt know it let me know when my oil was dirty. so i changed the oil... the light stayed on. when i run the car for about a minute though the light will turn off. i check the dip stick and everything looks fine, i unplugged the battery thinking maybe the computer is beeing dumb so i could reset it. light stayed on... any ideas? (also would that light come on for transmission fluid?)

Re: Oil change light

hahaha
    The car's computer has a preset time for how often you should change the oil.
    Depending on Engine load and miles, etc
    There is a reset procedure, its listed in your manual.
    You like hold the trip reset for like 20 seconds and it will go off and
    be reset
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

sorry for hijacking your thread.....

but if I disconnect the batterie during winter pause, does it resets the preset time?
      thanks
      greetings from Germany
      Thomas

PS: sorry for my english... if you found any mistakes, let me know....I'm learning

Comment

not sure what u mean by winter pause.

Comment

what preset time? the oil interval? i dunno about that but i can find out
          I would doubt it
          where do you live ragnot?
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I believe he means winter storage.

Now I can't remember the source of this but I'll put it out there anyways. The oil interval is based on a predetermined number of crankshaft revolutions biased (or reduced) by throttle position (the harder you push the throttle the shorter the oil interval becomes). My buddy who works at a Local GM Dealership claims the system is very accurate.

Me personally, 3 K is my limit.
            Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

sorry, yes I mean winter storage because I don't use the car during winter.

slow6:
              The car's computer has a preset time for how often you should change the oil.
              the ECU calculates the time to the next oil change...... but if I remove the battery, what happened with the calculation? Start it from zero if I reconnect the battery?

This was my question :)
              greetings from Germany
              Thomas

PS: sorry for my english... if you found any mistakes, let me know....I'm learning

Comment

I bet that it would only last as long as the capacitor on the PCM module circuit board holds a charge.

Your the one with the service manual. Doesn't it say something in there?
                Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

i could do a test, but i'm not willing to leave my battery disconnected for days....
                  In my HPTuner, it shows Engine Load to be the major factor
                  Me personally, I wouldnt want to not start my car all winter

Comment

I wouldnt want to not start my car all winter
                    Hey, as long as you store it properly it will be no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Fierotom
                      sorry, yes I mean winter storage because I don't use the car during winter.

slow6:

the ECU calculates the time to the next oil change...... but if I remove the battery, what happened with the calculation? Start it from zero if I reconnect the battery?

This was my question :)

I don't think so, but I am not positive. Either way, the light is so easy to reset.

Comment

well i dont know anything about storing a car "properly" but i dont think id want to not turn my car on all winter either lol....as for slow check my other topic in advanced tech about my *missfire code* for the location.

Comment

ya, just hold the trip reset button for like 20 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd
                            I don't think so, but I am not positive. Either way, the light is so easy to reset.
                            that is not the problem!

The oil change light is useless if it resets after battery disconect!

CDNFB: no, the GM Service Manual doesn't refer it....
                            greetings from Germany
                            Thomas

Comment

Do you only change your oil when that light illuminates? Because that could be at something like 7-8000 miles! Thats WAY to much for me. My father-in-laws STS has gone as far as that before the information center indicated 0 percent (caddy doesnt have a light but a pecentage reading).

All this talk about the light is pointless anyway because one of the items for you to do to properly put your car in storage is to change the oil. Do not leave used or old oil in your engine when it is in storage. By-products of combustion (acids and moisture) are absorbed by the oil and promote corrosion in the engine if left for extended periods.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X