the work for heads and cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the work for heads and cam

I have a 2000 firebird. I'm looking at an abbott racing heads and cam package. and i was wondering how much work is it to change a cam and the heads?

Do i have to take out the engine or can i do it with the engine still in the car?

Re: the work for heads and cam

you can do it with the engine in your car.

it is a lot of work, I would google and install or something so you have a better idea of what you are tackling I am wayyyyy to tired to make a list right now, maybe when I get down to school.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a Chilton's or Hayne's manual... Both will explain what you'll do to change your head/cams.

Anyway, it's a worthwhile mod as long as you're willing to take the time to do it. I'm 18 and I did this with my dad in the spring (well, not a head swap... just a cam swap, but we did eventually do a complete re-build, so the heads did come off lol). And, no, you don't need to take the engine out of the car.

Comment

just a quick list I made up, I am sure i am forgetting stuff, but its a good idea of how much work.

Unbolt upper and lower intakes
        alternator
        Alternator bracket
        Remove coolant hoses
        Remove fuel lines
        Remove headers
        Remove valve covers
        Remove rokers, pushrods and lifters
        Remove head bolts
        *****************REMOVE HEADS***********************8
        Remove front cover
        Remove Crank Bolt
        Remove Cam bolt
        Remove Balance shaft gear(if going with a double roller)
        Remove timing chain, (and tensioner if going double)
        Remove Cam
        Remove Cam key off of cam
        Install cam key onto new cam.
        ***********RE-ASSEMBLE*****************

Comment

for my first time going threw the process I would say the whole process took around 24 hrs, maybe a bit more, I hadnt done any reading up on the install, which I definetly reccomend you do, you will cut your time drastically. Also LABEL LABEL LABEL!!!!!!!!! when you pull out a bolt, put it in a bag and label it, also take pictures of your motor, so when you are done, if something doesnt look right go back and look at the pics.

Comment

Our boy magnus made a great site with instructions on doing a heads/cam install on a 3.8l

http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/v6headscam.htm
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

There is a nice list in our handy heads and cam sticky!
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                Our boy magnus made a great site with instructions on doing a heads/cam install on a 3.8l

Hi guys and gals, I'm new to the forum.:wavey: I am actually doing a cam swap soon here and this link was great. Is there anything else that is not stated in this link that I should know before I start my project?

Comment

everything should be pretty well covered, welcome to the board

Comment

If you know what you're doing it can be done in around 6 hours.

First time you do it I'd give yourself about 12hours of working time.
                    Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life

link not work 4 me????
                      Last edited by benavidez19; 03-27-2007, 09:18 PM.
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/lucky19\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/lucky19</a>

Comment

when i did mine it took a couple of weeks. one thing i could tell you i learned though is TAKE APART YOUR HEADS AND CHECK EVERYTHING ON THEM i found i needed to replace all of my exhaust valves. also clean up all of your surfaces really good with a little air grinder and a wire wheel

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy16
                          when i did mine it took a couple of weeks. one thing i could tell you i learned though is TAKE APART YOUR HEADS AND CHECK EVERYTHING ON THEM i found i needed to replace all of my exhaust valves. also clean up all of your surfaces really good with a little air grinder and a wire wheel
                          Theres no way it took a couple weeks working hard on it.

If you have a couple weeks thats always nice though, because then you arent rushed for time to get it back on the road in a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydSummerOf68
                            Theres no way it took a couple weeks working hard on it.

If you have a couple weeks thats always nice though, because then you arent rushed for time to get it back on the road in a weekend.
                            well yeah thats what i meant i took my sweet *** time with it because i was also trying to learn, not just rip it apart and put it back together. i also only worked on it about every other day and im only 17 and did it and it runs good
                            Last edited by Chevy16; 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Cool...congrats on getting it running right, that's always the hope :P

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X