How much does a 3.8 weigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a 3.8 weigh?

Hey everybody, im wodering exactly how much a 3.8 Liter engine weighs. Im sure somebody here knows, because of shipping them and such.
    I need the weight of the engine without the intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, and valve covers. Just the block, crank, innerds, and heads.
    Also, if you guys know a good shipping company, tell me about that too.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

it's called a long block. you also need to specify if auto or manual tranny, as there is a good weight difference. Auto long block w/exhaust manifolds weighs no more than 440lbs (what my winch was rated for ;)
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Heh? Different in weight of a long block depending on auto or manual tranny??? Kidding right? The long blocks from a manual and auto car will weigh in exactly the same, as a long block does not include anything having to do directly with the said trannies.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
        Heh? Different in weight of a long block depending on auto or manual tranny??? Kidding right? The long blocks from a manual and auto car will weigh in exactly the same, as a long block does not include anything having to do directly with the said trannies.
        Maybe he was thinking that the trans would still be bolted to it?!?!
        2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

flex plate & fly wheel weigh different. thus the weight difference.
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

A long block doesnt have either a flexplate or flywheel attached to it, by definition [img]smile.gif[/img]
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

I have seen both, not by definition but by experiance [img]smile.gif[/img]
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Uhm yea, industry standard for longblock has no flywheel/flexplate [img]smile.gif[/img] If they are shipped with the block, it's just courtesy or you're paying more for them.

Comment

he didn't specify industry standard
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

omg, you guys arent helping this guy at all...sorry My3birds, i have no clue about how much the longblock weighs, probably around 400lbs?
                    2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

we did so. I gave a weight in teh first post, and now he needs to check to find out if he's getting a flexplate/fly wheel in the mix, or if industry standard. Weren't ou paying attention?
                      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by chadder:
                        omg, you guys arent helping this guy at all...sorry My3birds, i have no clue about how much the longblock weighs
                        [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                        RedlineVSix

Comment

The short block weighs about 200-250 lbs with the crank, rods, and pistons.. The long block must weight between 400-450 lbs.. It took 4 of us to lift my long block off the truck at the machine shop.. I never weighed the motor so I dont know for sure..
                          Jeff ..
                          1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                          2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                          1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                          http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

whats the difference between a short block and a long block?
                            I don't think the thing could weigh 400 lbs because i tilted the thing back on the flywheel by myself. i mean , it felt heavy, but not that heavy.
                            also, anybody know any good shipping companies? i really can't find any good ones
                            1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

Comment

short block is just the block with crank, pistons, and rods.. the long block is with heads, cam and a short block..
                              Jeff ..
                              1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                              2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                              1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                              http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X