GT2 cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT2 cam

hey guys.. is there any place to buy a GT2 cam, other than zzp?

their price seems VERY VERY VERY for a cam..

anyways... can i put the GT2 cam in a completly stock 98 camaro 3.8L engine with no problems?

Is there anything i need to do? Or anything i need to be worried about?

Thanks.

Start off by reading the sticky at the top of the Advanced Tech section. Then start doing some serious searching in that section.

Originally posted by victimizati0n:
    hey guys.. is there any place to buy a GT2 cam, other than zzp?
    ZZP orders it as a custom grind from Comp Cams. You could do the same thing.

their price seems VERY VERY VERY for a cam..

Their price is equal to everyone elses. But I don't know exactly what you're saying.

anyways... can i put the GT2 cam in a completly stock 98 camaro 3.8L engine with no problems?
    Depends on what you mean. You'll need other stuff along with the cam when you install it. And you better have at least full intake and exhaust done. Would be smart to do all the supporting mods first also, before spending about $2000 on a cam.

Is there anything i need to do?
    Search and search and search. There's hundreds of threads in advanced tech of this exact same question.

Or anything i need to be worried about?
    Destroying your engine if you do something wrong.

Good luck. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

hi, thanks.

im really good with engines, so i will have no problem installing the cam, but i want to know, if i need to change the springs, pushrods, listers.. ect.

Also, what i ment by expensive is i can buy a new cam for my 69 camaro for only $90 - $150.. but a smaller cam costs double that... im assuming because it is custom made.

what do you mean by full intake/exhaust? what all do i need?

Thanks

And i will take a look at the sticky

Comment

im really good with engines, so i will have no problem installing the cam, but i want to know, if i need to change the springs, pushrods, listers.. ect.
        Yes, you'll pretty much want to get everything. Springs are a definite and pushrods are a very good idea. New lifters would be a smart thing to do. You're looking at around $1000 start to finish if you install it yourself.

Also, what i ment by expensive is i can buy a new cam for my 69 camaro for only $90 - $150.. but a smaller cam costs double that... im assuming because it is custom made.
        $300 is the standard for a cam for our cars. Every one available costs right at that.

FRA, Whisper Lid, headers, cat, catback. You're also gonna have to look into drivetrain: LSD, gears, clutch/torque converter. Then it'd be a good idea to start on suspension stuff.

Ideally, you want to leave a cam towards the very end of the mod list.

Definetly start at the sticky, then do some searches to see what others have said regarding the same questions. There's been hundreds of other posts, so just keep searching and you should find just about everything you need.
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

The cam costs more because it is a roller cam.
          Plus it is a custom grind.
          Roller cams for modern cars are manufactured differently than old flat tappet cams. They are supposedly much better quality.

The gt2 can be ran with stock valvtrain, but some springs buy you a little peace of mind.

Is it a good cam? Look at what both advanced tech mods use! :D Actually I bought mine before there was a gt2 cam. It was a comp cam custom grind, on extreme 4x4 lobes. The only difference being mine has a 112 lobe seperation, whereas the GT2 cam has a 111 I believe.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

You've got to pay to play man, especially with full roller motors like these.
            -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

ehh you dont need new rockers i'm still on my stock rockers... then agian i don;t plan on reving past 6400 unless i get a stand alone
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

see, this is what i wanted to know.

when they changed the cam in my camaro, the only thing htey did was put new springs on..

What would happen, if i just put the cam in and nothing else? Are there any limitations of the engine? (Like not reving past 6400) ? Any more?

thanks

also, since this is a roller stuff, i dont need to break it in as much is like a flat tappet would, right?

Comment

hi, thanks.

Thanks

And i will take a look at the sticky
                  Your 69 Camaro has a flat tappet cam. The ones in the V6 are hydraulic rollers and are made out of billet steel cores.
                  <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

"What would happen, if i just put the cam in and nothing else? Are there any limitations of the engine? (Like not reving past 6400) ? Any more?"

Valve Float
                    2001 V6 Camaro - VTEC Badged, Abbott Racing Heads Sticker, and Loud A$$ Exhaust<br /><br /><b>BUILT NOT BOUGHT</b><br /><br />14.0 @ 96.44 MPH (Street Tires, Before Tranny)<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54</a>

Comment

Hey since you are in pittsburgh you should just get the parts and gaskets from Pittsburgh Crank. I bought new lifters that comp cams sells for $160 for around $90 bucks because the lifters are really make by Stanadyne.

To everyone else I think that it is time the word got out that comp cams just resells another companies product and marks up the price to put its name on the box.

Here is the companies site.

http://www.stanadyne.com/new/index.asp
                      3\" Eldebrock catback exhaust<br />rksport powerdyne<br />pacesetter headers<br />VS cam,compcams pushrods,ls1 valves,5 angle valve job,p&p,<br />and total seal piston rings<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031</a>

Comment

thanks..

where is pittsburgh crank located at?

Comment

6515 Hamilton Ave.,Pittsburgh
                          412 361 3493

Call before hand and say you want to set up an account with them. They typically do not just let you walk in off the street to buy parts.
                          3\" Eldebrock catback exhaust<br />rksport powerdyne<br />pacesetter headers<br />VS cam,compcams pushrods,ls1 valves,5 angle valve job,p&p,<br />and total seal piston rings<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031</a>

Comment

Originally posted by blacksport:
                            "What would happen, if i just put the cam in and nothing else? Are there any limitations of the engine? (Like not reving past 6400) ? Any more?"

Valve Float
                            then all i need to get is stronger springs... right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X