96 RS Blown motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 RS Blown motor

So yeah, I just bought a 96 RS less than 3 weeks ago. Get it home, start driving it, it's not bad, needed a new fuel filter for sure, just wasn't getting any fuel. And there was this light tick noise up around the engine, but I was told it didn't sound like anything major. Also wasn't sure when the last oil change was, so we drained it and put in new oil. Also because the oil dip stick was bent up and impossible to read. Well, needless to say, the thing was like 3+ quarts over, and well, the oil looked nasty. So, a little scary, but didn't think too much of it. Replaced the fuel filter, did an engine diagnostic to find out what the service engine light was trying to tell me, and they said it was bad spark. Needed to replace the plugs, wires, and a coil pack. Replaced the plugs with Autolites, which I was told later by a mechanic that they suck with GM vehicles. Didn't replace the coil pack or wires yet, but the thing was running right, mostly because it was getting fuel. It did however have somewhat of a stumble under 2500 RPM's, like just didn't really want to pick up either. So I figure it's the wires and coil pack, and figure I'll change it soon. Well, been driving it pretty hard because, well, it's fun. Since I have an automatic, I use drives 1 and 2 to keep the RPM's up so I can run it harder. Well, one day, I take off from a stop light and there's just not much there at all. So at the next light, I put it in nuetral, and the thing picked up a knock. One that got louder and faster at higher RPM's. This is after less than 300 miles, and 2 weeks on a 90K mile car. I've been told of a possible rod thrown, or maybe a cracked piston. Was told a new motor from advanced auto parts will be $1628. Gonna find out what's wrong with it and get a price on full rebuild. Anybody think they know what happened and/or why? Or what to do.

Bad oil = bad bearings sooner or later.
    Whoever sold it to you may have been hiding something.

With a thrown rod or seized bearing (my guess) or even a cracked piston you should be able to actuallu feel air coming out of the oil filler neck with the car running. I want to say try it, but at the same time I dont.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Get an LT1... LT1s cost about the same as a v6 swap.. just get it done now, you wont regret it.
      Mystic Teal Metallic
      ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

Is your car blowing white smoke or any at all out the tail pipes?

Comment

Originally posted by BMackn32:

Anybody think they know what happened

and/or why?

Or what to do.

You drove a dieing engine too hard

cause you're foolish :D

buy a used (50,000 mile-ish) engine, it will most likely be cheaper than a rebuild

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Not so much looking for cheap fix. Got $500 from the dealer I bought it from, and getting an interest free loan from my loaded godfather. Someone said the 350 swap is about the same as replacing the 3.8 in it already? Is this true? What all is involved in changing over to the V8? Because I would love to have another 350, great engine. And I could still pay insurance on the V6 as long as the insurance never found out...lol.

Comment

Oh, and I haven't noticed any smoke. I've only driven it about 15 miles since the knock, and that was to take it to our mechanic buddy. He's supposed to drop the oil pan on it this week and look for any water or metal shavings to get a better idea of what we're dealing with in case we go with a rebuild. But if the 350 swap is about the same, I'd like to make that one of my options. What kind of mileage can you get in the new 5.7's? I had a 93 short bed, standard cab, 2wd chevy truck with a 350, but being the old style, and in a truck, I was getting 13 city, and maybe 18 highway. And the reason I went to a v6 was also an attempt at better gas mileage, but now I'm stuck driving our 97 yukon with the vortec 350, 4wd, that gets about 10 city, and maybe 15 highway. It's all been one big ball of irony.

Comment

Well, rebuild on the motor is a no go. Apparently the piston is hitting the cyclinder head creating the knock I was hearing, or something like that. I don't know, I forgot what he said already. But anyway, he can't rebuild it for cheaper than the price of a new 3800 for sure. But then he tells me he's got a high mileage LT1 out of a Cadillac for $700, but it'd need rebuilt, and I haven't found out about the price of that yet. He said he didn't think my camaro had the right rear end for it though, so I don't know. Anybody know anything about the LT1 or even an LS1 swap? What all would have to be changed to drop one in?

Comment

It's too expensive to rebuild the 3.8 but he wants to sell you an "LT1 out of a Cadillac" for $700 and then charge you to have that rebuilt?

I think I'd get a second opinion.
                  1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Are you sure its a LT1 and not a Northstar?
                    69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

I don't know, but the total just became $3k to get a new 3.8 from him (which I was just told all 3.8's you're gonna find are rebuilt engines...) and have him put it in. $3000. What the hell? The engine is about $1700. I don't know, I'm gonna start looking around again. I just don't understand how everything jumped up that much. He can't rebuild the thing for less than 3 grand?

Comment

Call your dealer and check how much they are or call a junk yard and look for a v6 camaro that was hit in the rear. Pull the engine and whether else you want and junk the rest. Also, www.paceperformance.com has gm factory replacement engine 3.8 for 2248.06 including a core charge.
                        69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

That guys looking to screw you around. Someone enlighten me and tell me what caddie had the LT1?

Does he mean Impala?

How is the piston hitting the head? Does it have 2.0 rockers or something...

They probaly put all that oil in it to raise the oil pressure up.

Alright, don't go back to that "mechanic" you went to. He's insane and probaly taking advantage of you. Same with the place you bought the car from. They gave you $500? They are still coming out way on top.

What are the rules on the lemon law? Or is that only on new cars?
                          2001 V6 Camaro - VTEC Badged, Abbott Racing Heads Sticker, and Loud A$$ Exhaust<br /><br /><b>BUILT NOT BOUGHT</b><br /><br />14.0 @ 96.44 MPH (Street Tires, Before Tranny)<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54</a>

Comment

Originally posted by blacksport:
                            That guys looking to screw you around. Someone enlighten me and tell me what caddie had the LT1?
                            93-96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            Matt
                            1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

The brougham had an LT1!?!?! Man I gotta get me one of those! LMAO haha
                              2001 V6 Camaro - VTEC Badged, Abbott Racing Heads Sticker, and Loud A$$ Exhaust<br /><br /><b>BUILT NOT BOUGHT</b><br /><br />14.0 @ 96.44 MPH (Street Tires, Before Tranny)<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X