water pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump question

i got so far 30000 milles on my bird and i just drain the coolant yesterday everything went perfect

but today after 20 minutes on the road i notice
    that wen i get to idle at a stop light the temp gauge almost goes all the way to the 260 level

and after i leave the car alone the coolant starts to come out from the coolant engine only area :eek:

my question is do i need to replace the water pump?
    im pretty shure thats the problem
    cause i use GM approved coolant
    any ways
    any help will do

also is there like a aftermarket or performance water pump????

thanks guys
    headers, high flow cat, slp loudmouth
    powerdyne supercharger 6psi
    GT2 cam. all done by myself :banana:
    Hell yea

You might have trapped air in the cooling system. When you drained the coolant and put new coolant in, did you make sure to get the car up to operating temperature with the radiator cap and bleed screw off? Your supposed to let the car heat up until coolant is out from the bleed valve, then put the screw back in and put the radiator cap on. A water pump should definately last over 30,000 miles. How long did your car stay that hot?

Also, did you put cold water in the engine while it was hot? If so you could have possible done some damage to the heads.

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
      You might have trapped air in the cooling system. When you drained the coolant and put new coolant in, did you make sure to get the car up to operating temperature with the radiator cap and bleed screw off? Your supposed to let the car heat up until coolant is out from the bleed valve, then put the screw back in and put the radiator cap on. A water pump should definately last over 30,000 miles. How long did your car stay that hot?

Also, did you put cold water in the engine while it was hot? If so you could have possible done some damage to the heads.
      well the car stayed hot for only a couple seconds then it goes back to normal but this only hapened when im idle
      i will leave the cap open tomorow and runn it like you say
      thanks for the help
      headers, high flow cat, slp loudmouth
      powerdyne supercharger 6psi
      GT2 cam. all done by myself :banana:
      Hell yea

Comment

Ya the cap and the bleed valve screw. You should see it is it a brass color just follow the radiator hose you'll know what I'm talking about. Also make sure your fluid level is up to the neck of the radiator AND to the proper level in the overflow reservoir. So unscrew the bleeder valve screw...take off the radiator cap and over flow cap..make sure coolant level is good...(put a sock around the radiator opening and under the bleeder valve so you don't get coolant everywhere)then start the car and let it warm up for a few minutes, then rev it in neutral to like 3000 a few times with the heater on full blast.

Then get out of the car and watch the bleed valve and once the coolant starts flowing out of it the bleed valve turn the car off. Put the bleed screw back in..put radiator cap, and overflow cap on. Hopefully that's all it is. If the temperature spikes up again like that I'd have some tests done, but it's probably just a bad water pump, but it could be damaged heads or head gaskets.

Comment

Yea a bubble in the system can cause all sorts of hell lol.
          00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            5 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            3 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X