Valvetrain parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvetrain parts

yeah i bought a used Rksport supercharger kit and just got some more money from christmas and wanted to know if these parts that i plan on buying are good enough for the forced induction

#130 comp cams valve springs
    comp cams Hi tech push rods

also should i use the stock retainers and valve locks?

also do you guys think i could use the zzperformance gt cam it says it can take intercooled boost so would it work with the supercharger?

i also am pulling out the while motor to do a complete rebuild with a three angle valve job, put on pacesetter headers, porting and polishing,and adding ls1 valves
    3\" Eldebrock catback exhaust<br />rksport powerdyne<br />pacesetter headers<br />VS cam,compcams pushrods,ls1 valves,5 angle valve job,p&p,<br />and total seal piston rings<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031</a>

the springs are fine and so are the push rods

i would upgrade your lifters to "OE" or "OER" lifters from comp cams.

if you are doing a full rebiuld i would lower the c/r and put in forged pistons and rods while your in there.

for a cam i would look at the intense SC cams and get one of those, or have a custom SC cam made.

i would get at least the steal retainers if not the T one's. i had a good set of locks installed as well
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

no you shouldnt need new locks or retainers and you really dont need new lifters either since ours are roller lifters stock (only if you are doing a massive build up would i recomend changing any of that over). since you will be in there messing with your valvetrain i would tell you to go ahead and take off your heads and work on it outside the car and then install some .074 thick mls gaskets from zzp or abbott to lower your cr a little bit (about 9.1:1 instead of 9.4:1). I think if you post this in advanced tech you might get more responses and helpful information.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

I'm going to move this to advanced only beacuase you not really asking much about the SC.
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

If it was a 3.4 I would toss the stock locks and retainers for sure.
          The stock 3.8 might be better than the old 3.4 stuff.

[ December 27, 2004, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: oil pan 4 ]
          \'85 Z28, T-tops new LG4 and TH700<br />\'85 3.4L 5-speed<br />mods: <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/oil_pan_4\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/oil_pan_4</a> the nitrous exhaust O2 safety, pg 3. <br />Areo space materal engineer wantabe

Comment

yeah but the stock 3.8 (which i would assume he has because his name is 96firebirdgt) valvetrain is actually pretty nice to start off with. if you are looking into porting and polishing your heads with new valves and such i would recomend looking into abbott heads. they seem like a good bunch of guys and their heads flow well and are pretty reasonable. also since you are taking out the engine i would recomend adding a cam while its easy and the gt line of cams look good to me (especially if you are adding in an IC). later on get your upper and lower intake pnp'd as well for a little better flow. the headers will be a great addition for the sc though. make sure you go ahead and research the john D wrap and getting a grooved pully so get no slippage from the belt on the sc. you seem to be doing everything right the first time around though and should be very happy with your setup in the end. Good luck.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

First off, 130 pound valvesprings are completely overkill. I would not put that much extra stress on the valvetrain if I didnt have to. If its a stock cam and rockers, you dont really need to upgrade unless you raise your shiftpoints. If I was putting in the ZZP GT cam, I would use LS6/LS2 springs which are around 90 pounds. Our stock springs are 60.

With the powerdyne kit, I would keep the stock compression. They are only good for 10 pounds of boost which are pistons dont mind taking. I would buy tuning software(hp tuners, dhp) to adjust the timing or you might have problems with that much boost and NA timing.
              92 S10 3800 A4(96)<br />1/4: 14.374 @ 92.25 w/ 1.976 60\'<br />Turbo and 12\'s Coming Soon!

Comment

If you are getting new pushrods, leave the lifters alone (assuming they don't make noise) and get the oil restricted pushrods instead of the OER lifters.
                I don't think stock retainers and locks will work with the comp springs, I am not sure. I would do as redfrk13 said and use LSx springs with stock retainers and keepers.

EDIT - I wouldn't get that cam if I was supercharging a car anyhow. Get a blower cam.
                1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  4 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X