ATTN: MAGNUS need advice asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: MAGNUS need advice asap

i just took off my upper intake tonight and i knew i had a blown head gasket but when i took the intake off only 1 of the cylinder ports were clean 2 had mass quantities of oil around them and the rest were rusty looking, do i need piston and rings? do i need my motor bored out now? on the right side of the intake you could see where it was shooting crap out it was chunks of a gasket and it was also messed up in the front. please give me some advice

how did you blow a head gasket
    97 CAMARO RS<br />12.9@103mph<br />best 60ft..1.9 ( on street tires)<br /> 1.7 (on gas)<br />turbo supra 12.5@119mph (street tires)<br />new times to come sporting the sp63gt

Comment

one day i changed my antifreeze and i was on my way 2 the track and the temp went up to 250+ i didnt notice it till i paid to race and i was making my 2nd dial run, i got the car home and it was almost empty, one cylinder port has antifreeze that went through it and 2 have oil around and in them

Comment

You don't need new pistons or rings. Just clean it all out and replace the gasket.
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

how are you so certain i didnt fry my piston or rings? the gasket on the upper intake and lower intake were torn up and the cylinder ports had rust in some and one was clean from what smelt like antifreeze and 2 had oil on them are u positive i didnt mess anything up major in my motor?

Comment

Maybe your gaskets went between the intakes and not at the head.

If you have oil on the spark plugs, thats a sign of ring failure.. Not crud in the intakes.

I'm assuming you already have head gaskets and/or are willing to remove the heads.. so I say continue with removing the heads. Put new gaskets down and clean everything out well.

You should be fine.

Change your oil as well while your at it.. if it looks all chunky or not right, then something is wrong.. But I bet you it looks just like it does every time you change your oil..

If you did buy head gaskets, where did you buy them from.. what was the part #.. and was it a kit.. If it was a kit, what came with it?... I'm adding to the Tech Database. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck.

O yea, those little orange and bigger yellow rings that go between the intakes.. Make sure you got NEW ones with your gasket kit.. YOU MUST put those there otherwise you will have much headache in the future.

Also, when putting the injectors back into the intake, put a little oil on the rings to help them slide in there better.

- Keith
            Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

ok ill update later but the gasket set is a kit ill let ya know what all came with it in about a week, its from advanced auto

Comment

well guys my pistons and rings are shot :( i took my heads off and there was oil and antifreeze on most of the pistons and one of the pistons even had rust on it. the clearance is something like -.4 ten thousands or something and when you put your hand on most of the pistons you can move them pretty freely and they move ALOT. so now i guess i have to take my block to a machine shope and most likely have the motor bored out. i do have a few questions. what is the valve size stock? can i use oversized valves and what size should i go with? did any of you ever hear of full floating pin pistons? can i use these without any pcm problems? will the ses go off from any internal work like different valves or pistons? did anyone ever hear of hypereuctectic (sp)?? connecting rods? can i use these and are they any good?, i know they are insanely priced. i cant believe how well my car ran even know the pistons and rings are shot.

Comment

I think you may be the few on the list to do a rebuild for the 3.8. I'd take your block to a machine shop and send one of your pistons off to someone like Ross, or Weisco too see what they can come up with for a custom piston. I've been dreading doing all the work and research for a rebuild so my block is still in the garage. May I suggest a complete running 3.8 from a junkyard for about $500? That is what I did and just used the long block, runs like a champ and I have lots of spare parts.
                  Michael Huff<br />92 RS, 98 V6, 97 SS, 00 Z28 <br /> <a href=\"http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/</a>

Comment

well i drained my oil and about half gallon of green antifreeze came out then the oil antifreeze mix came out. i was going to get junkyard parts but i figured i dont know what im getting from salvage yard, could be worse than i already have. this is not a gamble im willing to take. i talked 2 the guy at the machine shop he recommended full floating pin pistons they are from summit and they are forged so i guess ill use those. they are called speed pro forged full floaters guess ill see if they are a good piston. i talked with tom at ssm he said the stock valves have great flow so i dont need oversized valves. should i get aftermarket connecting rods or will the stock ones hold up can i use stock pushrods or do i need aftermarket? please help

Comment

Ok, no need to e-mail me and post here. Just post here and not only I, but many others will be able to offer you help. ;)

I have never heard of floating pin pistons.

Stock valve sizes are in the tech database:
                      http://tech.firebirdv6.com/engine.html

Like Mike says, you could buy a used motor for $500 from a junk yard, not a bad deal. Chances are the motor is fine. If its not I bet the junkyard would have like a 15 day return policy on garbage parts.. so if the engine didn't work you could probably return it in time.

As for boring, well you would be a pioneer. I don't know of anyone who has bored out their 3.8 so if you do, please take lots of pictures and get as much documentation and #'s as you can.. Any dimensions you could have measured would also be good as well as part #'s and tolerances and such.

As for pistons to fit the new bore, you would need pistons and rods. Not sure where you would find these but I would look for pistons/rods first before you bore so you know how much you need to bore over to match the pistons.

Oh yea, I would stick with stock valves.. I don't think the bigger valves are worth the $$$. I opted to stick with stock valves/rockers.

- Keith
                      Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

well last night i had my buddy look at my pistons and rods and he said "holy sh** it has floater pins stock" so thats all good. as far as the pistons and such im getting from summit but through machine shop 4 better deal. they are forged pistons ill get all the papers and #s as i can. do you guys think my motor can handle being bored .030 over or will it eventually die ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X