Why wasn't the 4.3 ever put in the camaro instead of 3.8? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why wasn't the 4.3 ever put in the camaro instead of 3.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why wasn't the 4.3 ever put in the camaro instead of 3.8?

That's the question! I know the current 4.3s are tuned without much performance in mind, but they are extremely capable. I would assume more so than the 3.8 infact.
    2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

The current 4.3's seem more built for towing and so forth rather than all-out performance, which wouldn't make them a wise choice in an F-body (at least not without some re-working).

As a side note, though, a version of the 4.3L was used in NASCAR Busch-series racing a few years back, but I believe they're all using V8's now.
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Why WOULD they? Put yourself in GM's shoes. If you want to go fast, you'll buy the Z28. If you like the looks, but don't like the gas mileage or higher price, you'll buy an efficient but quick V6.

Sure more cubes would be more power, but the 3.8 has just as much potential as the rest.
      1995 Custom turbocharged 3.4L Camaro<br />- Custom Garrett T3 turbo, .48/.63 A/R<br />- 30lb/hr bosch style injectors<br />- Aeromotive AFPR<br />- MSD 43 gph Inline Fuel Pump<br />- Custom Controlled ECM<br />- Just the beginning........<br />-<b>And the end:(</b> Turbo is gone.

Comment

4.3 = 190hp :D

after driving trucks weighing nearly what our cars weigh with 2 passengers, and then driving a 3.8 equipped vehicle, I know why the 3.8 is in our cars [img]smile.gif[/img] .

The 3.8 is a pure performance V6 while the whining 4.3L seems to run out of pep after 3500RPM. Its also an older engine and is more proven, and in no way am I dissatisfied with it. Besides, 4.3L V6 only offers 190hp right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, if you want to talk performance, lets consider the new 4.2L 270hp Inline-6 with variable valve timing... :D rool: I bet if we could angle it a bit, it might just fit. :D
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

LoL :)

As for the 4.3L being sluggish compared to the 3.8 - thats true in their current forms, but the intake/heads on the 3.8 were tuned for that performance, the 4.3L was tuned for those truck applications (its actually packs 200 horsepower and 260 ft/lbs when equipped in the Silverado PU).

For the most part it is true that the 4.3L is 3/4 a 5.7L 350 - everything is the same - stroke, bore... etc, just minus 2 cylinders. And it's not like the 4.3 is a newcomer, I dont know when the 3.8L debuted or really when the 4.3L really debuted but it did first appear in the S10 back in 1982. And at SEMA an s10 w/ a "ZZ4.3" engine appeared with only a modified intake manifold - that is ALL they claim to of changed to make 260 horsepower! Check out a thread of it at:
          http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/s...ghlight=Intake

Not that I'm going to be convincing GM to switch the 3.8s to 4.3s in the last quarter of their production... but just saying
          ;)

Edit: & Why would they? Well, depending on how long each each has been in mass production - I think the 4.3 has - or has it? Less expense that way... make it for the trucks, make it for the cars! I dunno!

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Cale ]</p>
          2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

well, the V6 fbods were really more for gas economy. 19/30 is pretty good. my bro has an S10 with the 4.3...gets 17/25. has nice gitup off the line, but has no top end at all.
            2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Cale,

It's no lost. 3.8 3800 Series II is GM's best engine. Just look at how many GM cars has it. It has won Ward's award for being one of the 10 top world's best. It's even better than LS1. No flame but its the truth. I met a former GM engineer at a Pontiac dealer who bought a Grand Prix and even he said. It has great potential

Check out Brad's website and go to his cool stuff. The 3.8 is hale as one of Camaro's best engine. I would say it's bullet proof.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

My dad did own a Grand National, he did comment the other day on how it was the fastest car he has ever owned (it was modified with plenty of bolt ons).

Wasn't doubting the potential of the 3.8 - just bs'ing around with a somewhat interesting question.

Does anyone know when the 3.8 was brought into production?

Comment

I can guess why. GM has to meet a certain fuel economy average. Most car companies run that as close as they can, and actually have to limit the number of luxury cars they sell to meet it. Put the 4.3 in, less fuel mileage, GM can sell fewer luxury cars.
                  2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cale:
                    That's the question! I know the current 4.3s are tuned without much performance in mind, but they are extremely capable. I would assume more so than the 3.8 infact.<hr></blockquote>

i actually looked into this. and gm in all their engineering mastery took teh easy way out. they already had an existing exhaust manifold that woudl work. instead of tooling up a casting facility and spending money to design a part, they just reached in the parts bin and grabbed existing pieces and slapped it together.
                    it is the same reason the 4.3 never made it intothe thirdgen.

later
                    tim
                    1991 Camaro RS<br />305TBI/Auto<br />East Coast F-body Nationals<br />August 3, 2002, Englishtown, NJ<br /> <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/njspeeder\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/njspeeder</a>

Comment

My dad has one on his 2000 full-size regular cab with automatic. to me it doesn't have the throttle response or upper end that my car does. It just doesn't gain rpms like the 3800 but it is great for him because he doesn't pull any trailers with his truck. Gets pretty good mileage for a truck to.
                      -Brad
                      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                      :rock:

Comment

Let's think this one through logically for a moment. The simple answer is that the 4.3 V-6 is classified for emmissions and such as a truck engine and the 3.8 is classified for cars, hence GM would have to have the 4.3 go through all the EPA testing and crash testing to have the engine approved to even sit in the engine bay of a F-Body.

Now, from a performance stand point, the 4.3 has Throttle Body Injection!! That alone is antiquated technology, but it is also a cost cutting measure. Hence the lower power rating than the 3.8 which has Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection and is a more efficient system. Before I start a war, the 4.3 was offered with SEFI, I owned a 92 Blazer that came equipped with it. You could feel a power difference between the 92 with SEFI over my parents 98 GMC Jimmy with TBI.

Even more performance data!!! Think back about 10 years, GMC rolled out the Syclone and Typhoon, both came with 4.3 V-6 TURBO engines. A few years prior to that, Buick rolled out the Grand National, and Pontiac brought out the limited edition TTA, both equipped with 3.8 V-6 TURBO engines. Here is where it gets really interesting. The 3.8 is not a top end engine at all, but the 4.3 is a pooch. A Grand National will usually out M.P.H. a similarly modified Syclone. Case in point, I've been in a Typhoon that runs consistent 12.30's, but only trips the beams at around 112 M.P.H. I'm also lucky enough to ride in a GN that runs 12.0 at 120+. Both have nearly the same mods, but the GN has much better ability to make horsepower. The 4.3 Turbo will make more torque though due to stroke.

Basically, GM just put their "corporate" engine into the F-Body due to cost. Conversely, dollar for dollar, a 3.8 V-6 will run circles around a 4.3 V-6
                        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

The 4.3 in a truck will pull a good size load and still get 17 MPG. At least mine did. It is a torque monster of an engine. Look at the current rating of the engine.
                          Someone asked when did the 3.8 enter into production. Well most of you here were not even a thought or even a twinkle. It was first known as the 231 cubic inch buick V-6. the early 1960's, when modified the 231 or 3.8 as we know it today can make tons of HP.
                          &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

here are some interesting sites on the 231 or 3.8
                            http://home.att.net/~mrosamilia/buick3_8.html

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/co...nvbuickv6.html

http://home.off-road.com/~merls_garage/oddfire.html

http://www.d.umn.edu/~jmeller1/3800.html

Did ya know that it was an optional engine in the elcamino in 1978!
                            &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X