the 3.8...stroke-able?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 3.8...stroke-able?

i knwo the block can be BORED .030" over...but i read in a camaro performer mag about the 305, how it wasnt great because it's stroke is less than 4"(breathing issues). i know the stroke on a 3.8 is 3.4". can it be punched out more, or is it smart to maybe DE-stroke it, like some have done with a 305? thanks
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

I think gand nat owners do that and make a 4.1?
    I know the engines are completely different so that was a waste of me typing [img]smile.gif[/img]
    The only thing that would hold us back is the computer, or would it?
    All it does is add more combustion area right?
    So then it might work?
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Keep in mind that while stroking an engine will increase compression and power capabilities, it will reduce the redline given the materials used inside the engine are the same.

The general idea is "less dtroke = higher redline".

Keep in mind you can get around this by using stronger internals made from titanium alloys instead of cast steel - even a forged product would probably work. Just don't go smacking the heads or valves with the piston [img]smile.gif[/img]
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Nope, this was from people that have torn down the engine and checked everything out. Even if you could, we are talking about custom parts.

DEE
        1997 GTP(13.3@104)-Sold<br />1999 Trans Am M6

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DEE97GTP:
          Nope, this was from people that have torn down the engine and checked everything out. Even if you could, we are talking about custom parts.

DEE
          <hr></blockquote>

There ya go. You'll need first of all, a completley custom cam with a different stroke, different length rods, etc.
          1995 Custom turbocharged 3.4L Camaro<br />- Custom Garrett T3 turbo, .48/.63 A/R<br />- 30lb/hr bosch style injectors<br />- Aeromotive AFPR<br />- MSD 43 gph Inline Fuel Pump<br />- Custom Controlled ECM<br />- Just the beginning........<br />-<b>And the end:(</b> Turbo is gone.

Comment

I have had a GN...

I recently sold it and it got wrecked so Im helping the guy part it out..

There a place here that sells L67 internals.. which are the same as ours, just different compression...

Conclusion...THE INTERNAL sizes are the exact size!

Comment

There are several issues with the new series II 3.8's...to effectively punch out this engines one will have to be aware of the internal balancer, the shorter deck height, less "meat" in the block and even after all this custom work there is the blasted PCM...all in all, not worth the beans because after everything within this parameters stated you have only punched the 3.8L to ABOUT 4.0L...now that really sucks!!

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: nocutt ]</p>
              THE ORIGINAL 3800SII turbo...<b><i>NOW SERIES-III</i></b>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by V6Turbo:

You'll need first of all, a completley custom cam with a different stroke...
                <hr></blockquote>

I think you mean crank. The cam controls the valve train not the stroke.

Maybe you meant those things seperatly, but it didn't sound like it.
                -96 Birdie<br />-2x 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z<br />-97 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheCardinal:
                  Keep in mind that while stroking an engine will increase compression and power capabilities, it will reduce the redline given the materials used inside the engine are the same.

The general idea is "less dtroke = higher redline".

Keep in mind you can get around this by using stronger internals made from titanium alloys instead of cast steel - even a forged product would probably work. Just don't go smacking the heads or valves with the piston [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  <hr></blockquote>

You just have to get hemi pistons and a custom head... ;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X