pulling vavle covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling vavle covers

can u take your vavle covers off with out having to take off of the intake or like anything major
    1999 Firebird 3.8 Chamelon<br /><br />MagnaFlow Catback<br /><br />Devon

Just have to remove the ICM to get the driver's side off. Everything else can stay on.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

got a link of removing ICM? or any info?
      pics?
      would love to clean up everything and paint valve covers
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

2 bolts hold the ICM to the engine, and another small bolt holds the connector to it. Not a big deal to remove.
        Matt
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Also note that if you haven't removed them before, you'll have to take off the rear lift bracket on the passenger side. If you've already removed it, it's easy....but the first time is horrible.
          Matt

Comment

ok becuase on my new motor im getting a vavle tick and i wanted to check them the passanger side looks the easiest i think all you have to do is take the bolts out
            1999 Firebird 3.8 Chamelon<br /><br />MagnaFlow Catback<br /><br />Devon

Comment

any drawbacks of taking the valve covers off?
              like can get the valves real dirty or something?
              can i clean the valves while the covers are off?
              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
                any drawbacks of taking the valve covers off?
                like can get the valves real dirty or something?
                can i clean the valves while the covers are off?
                The only drawback is not getting a good seal when you put the valve cover back on. Use a cork gasket and seal-a-gasket.

Clean the valves? how do you mean? They should be covered in oil - and that's not a bad thing.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

don't worry about cork gaskets...ours are rubber. they fit tight in a groove cut into the valve cover. if they wobble out of the groove when you put the valve cover back on you can use a dab of bearing grease to hold them in. no neet for gasket goo or silicone sealers. you'll see.

use torque sequence and get them hand tight all the way around. then use a wrench a give a slight tightening (about 15 lbs.) I forget the exact torque specs but my little haynes manual was misprinted...it says 90 lbs....sheesh...it is more like 15 lbs. you want 'snug...a little tight'...not head bolt tight. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  01 Firebird A4 3.42
                  Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                  and other mods
                  Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by grayman:
                    I forget the exact torque specs but my little haynes manual was misprinted...it says 90 lbs....sheesh...it is more like 15 lbs.
                    Not misprinted at all. It's 89 lbs alright. But like it says...Inch Pounds. That just happens to be 7.5 Foot Pounds. :D

I never bother measuring it, though. I just hand tighten them.
                    Matt

Comment

not to highjack the thread..but how do you get the passenger lift bracket off?..id like to paint my valve covers like my intake
                      <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

Originally posted by 1DangerousV6:
                        not to highjack the thread..but how do you get the passenger lift bracket off?
                        Lots of swearing and working blind. Just get a wrench and go for it. No easy way to do it besides just feeling what you're doing back there.
                        Matt

Comment

haha....sounds like fun!
                          <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

I've heard different things about that bracket -- all involve cursing, feeling, and even some use of a hammer.
                            -Rob
                            <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked 3800 V6:
                              I've heard different things about that bracket -- all involve cursing, feeling, and even some use of a hammer.
                              -Rob
                              if you do it right, there is rairly anything that requires a hammer ;)

i have never tried it so forgive me but could you use an air ratchet?
                              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X