knock sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knock sensors

ok I went and got the codes pulled for the SES, the knock sensor is almost dead....
    where is it? how hard is it to replace?
    can I make a 125 mile trip home on a faulty knock sensor?
    I want to know these things b/c I need to decide whether to get it replace dhere for 200 bucks p&l or if I take it home and do it myself...

knock sensor is on the passanger side screwed into the block. easy to replace, but Im not sure how much room you have, I did mine when the engine was out [img]smile.gif[/img]

if the car is running fine you shoulnd't have any trouble getting home.. fill up with some good gas just in case, to prevent knock.

Comment

its not running fine, it revs high before it gets power and theres some pretty bad detonation at times it seems

Comment

I am pretty sure you can get to it easily from underneath the car. No way to change it from the top. Shouldn't cost you much labor to get it replaced though. A shop could do it in less than 20 minutes. Also un hook your positive battery cable for about 10 minutes after you install it to reset the PCM, your car isn't OBD II so it will reset. Or if you get someone to fix it they will reset it for you :D

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: RedbirdV6 ]</p>
        97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

don't drive it if its detonating.

Comment

cant I reduce detonation w/ higher octane gas??

Comment

I know on the 3.8 the knock sensors are above the motor mounts which may make them hard to get to with the motor in the car. Not sure about the 3.4. Be prepared for a coolant bath when you remove it, have a bucket ready. [img]smile.gif[/img] And don't overtighten the knock sensor, or you will get false knock. Just get it snug.

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Ironman24 ]</p>
              Michael Huff<br />92 RS, 98 V6, 97 SS, 00 Z28 <br /> <a href=\"http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X