compression ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compression ratios

as a general rule, how much does .1 compression add? eg, 9.7:1 as opposed to 9.6:1 hp and tq wise?
    it seems with the soon to be aquisition of the 86 TA, the V6 is gonna say NA, but how high can i go with compression with 93 octane?
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by navyblue2000:
    as a general rule, how much does .1 compression add? eg, 9.7:1 as opposed to 9.6:1 hp and tq wise?
    it seems with the soon to be aquisition of the 86 TA, the V6 is gonna say NA, but how high can i go with compression with 93 octane?
    <hr></blockquote>

Not sure but I've heard that it adds approx 10% more hp per full point (ie: 9.4 to 10.4). I wouldn't go higher than 10.5, maybe 11.0 for 93 octane
    GM 3800 PowerPak guinea pig<p>\"what cam, that\'s just a nasty mis-fire...\"

Comment

really easy to figure this out...

THIS IS JUST A FORMULA FOR ESTIMATION
      this is not a "what you will get" formula, but here:

%gain=(upped CR-stock CR)/stock CR

so, if i wanted to see how much going from my 3.4's stock 9.0:1 - 10.4:1 would be:

%gain=(10.4-9.0)/9.0
      %gain=1.4/9.0
      %gain=.15

and then take the .15, and do this:

hp/(.100-%gain)=hp after CR raise or,
      160/(.100-.15)=hp after
      160/.85=188.24

so there ya go. little bit o math that seems to give estimations. i havent tested this little match theory out in real life on a dyno, but im sure someone will after this ;)

-R

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Russell ]</p>

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
      Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
      West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Just happens I was leafing through the latest issue of Car Craft at Publix, and they have an article on this very subject. They took a 440 Mopar engine and tried it at different compression ratios to see how much difference there was. They used specially made copper gaskets to lower the CR; there was some worry that it wouldn't seal perfectly when they got too thick, but everything worked fine. No leaks whatsoever.
        Starting with an 11.0:1 ratio, the engine dynoed at 501 horsepower. Sorry, don't remember the torque.
        Adding a thicker gasket and lowering the CR to 10.0:1 dropped power to 483. At 9.0:1 it was 460, and at 8.0:1 it bottomed out at 440 horses.

Going in, they said the "rule of thumb" is four percent difference in hp per full point of CR. So on a 500 hp engine that would be about 20 hp, and that is just about exactly what happened.
        So, theoretically, on an otherwise stock 3.8 engine, going up to 10.4:1 should be good for about eight horses. No idea what would happen with the Supersix package added into the equation.

Rik

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X