Important Jet Chip Install Information - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important Jet Chip Install Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Jet Chip Install Information

Whole new tutorial.

This will take you 10 minutes, and will save you a lot of headache.

Before I start, I do recommend deviating from the instructions a bit (as in not removing the negative terminal). I will not take any reponsibility for any damage to your vehicle by following these intrusctions. I did this, and it worked great. If you are nervous about frying your computer, take out the terminal. But when you reconnect it, do so in one motion, and do so quickly. I fried my battery, so the second time I installed the chip, I did not disconnect it. Now on to the install process.

1. Open hood
    2. Look on drivers side of engine bay, near the front. You will see two breaker boxes. Open them both. Now remove PCM BAT & PCM IGN. Set them aside.
    3. Passenger side, top corner of engine bay. You will see two very wide plugs w/ lots of wires going into a metal box. That is your computer. Remove the bottom plug with a socket. Note that the screw will not come all the way out, unscrew it until it seems like its not coming anymore, and then pull out the plug.
    4. There will be a red gasket on either the computer or the plug. If it is on the computer, take it off and put it in the plug. Make sure to push it all the way down with a screwdriver, or a key.
    5. Get your jet chip. Look at the female side. You should see only one gasket, and it should be lower than the black plastic edge. If not, attempt to remove it to make sure there are not two (esp if you bought used). If there is only one, push it down w/ a screwdriver or key.
    6. Now get the extension to the jet chip. Screw it in by hand all the way. Don't bother tightening, that is unnecessary.
    7. Now plug in the jet chip. To align it properly, make sure your plugging the female side(holes) into the computer. Also make sure the "hump" is on the bottom & the sticker on the side that says "Jet" is facing you & upside down. It should go in with little force. If you are having a time getting it in there, take it out and make sure that you have it aligned correctly and make sure there are no bent pins. Do not shrug off bent pins, if they come in contact with another -- especially if it is a ground or power pin, your going to regret it when you start the car (if they come in contact now, no big deal, no power going to the pcm w/ the fuses out).
    8. Now plug the plug into the jet chip. You may have a little problem doing this becuase its wires are pretty short and because you may have clearance issues with some hood hardware. Just very gently put the right corner of the plug into the chip (just a little bit, you don't want to be hitting pins yet), then lower the other side in. It too should go in with little effort, so if it gives resistance, check alignment and for bent pins. It also will not go all the way down because of the screw, so tighten that snug (but not iron grip, hand tighten then a couple turns of the socket wrench is fine).
    9. Replace fuses
    10. Start car... It might stumble a little bit, give it some time. No SES lights should come on. Drive around and be happy. :)

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: strobhen ]</p>
    2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X