No announcement yet.

compression 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh!!! I was thinking of the timing advance and somehow typed in the compression...My bad.

I meant the timing on Jet sets on our computer...How much would it affect on increasing my compression... as he11.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: 2kblufbody ]

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2kblufbody:
      Doh!!! I was thinking of the timing advance and somehow typed in the compression...My bad.

I meant the timing on Jet sets on our computer...How much would it affect on increasing my compression... as he11.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: 2kblufbody ]
      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think i know what you're asking....
      the jet increases ign timing which will produce detonation if you don't use high octane fuel.
      increased compression also will produce detonation if you don't use high octane fuel.
      if you increase compression by maybe .5 and leave the jet in, using 93 octane, the knock sensor will pick up the detonation and will retard timing by up to 10 degrees before it sets the SES light. in effect this does away with the increased timing benefits of the jet module. unless you're running racing fuel or octane boost in every tank, i'd recommend doing one or the other.
      however.... i don't think increasing compression by like maybe .1 or so by using thinner head gaskets would hurt anything. but then again, increasing compression by .1 may not be worth the time to pull the heads for the small amount of gain you'll see.

increasing compression does not produce power by altering timing. increasing compression simply gets more power out of the air/fuel charge in the combustion chamber.
      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Thanks teacher... keep on teachin.

I see the light. ;)

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: 2kblufbody ]

Comment

Here is my question, the jet module is there to advance the timing right. So would it really be that bad if you just took it off. Persay if I wanted to increace my compression by milling the heads on my car could I take the jet module off and then run it safely (with out detonation) if I took of the jet (thinking that the timing would not be advanced) or would if F**k up something else? Thanks,
          Jon

PS I know I'd have to run higher octane gas but I'm trying to get away with only running 93 octane and no octane booster.
          1998 V6 m5<br />ram air mod<br />(the sc is for south carolina not super charged but maybe that will change)<p>\"Thank the Lord for air tools\"

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SCv6:
            Here is my question, the jet module is there to advance the timing right. So would it really be that bad if you just took it off. Persay if I wanted to increace my compression by milling the heads on my car could I take the jet module off and then run it safely (with out detonation) if I took of the jet (thinking that the timing would not be advanced) or would if F**k up something else? Thanks,
            Jon

PS I know I'd have to run higher octane gas but I'm trying to get away with only running 93 octane and no octane booster.
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would advise running one or the other, not both. yes the jet controls timing, but it also controls MAP signals, MAF signals, etc to control fuel curve as well.

don't forget that the PCM itself will control timing with or without the Jet module in there. it will give you correct ign timing if you increase compression. with increased compression, you do not need the jet to advance the timing (nor do you want it if you're just using 93 octane), because over-advanced timing with high compression would produce detonation.

you would not mess anything up by removing the jet and increasing compression. you would be doing the correct thing, if you did not want to run very high octane fuel.
            ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X