Trying to find out more info about the thrasher heads and cam package - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find out more info about the thrasher heads and cam package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find out more info about the thrasher heads and cam package

I've been wandering around on their site.
    I tried the tech line but they are backed up on calls.
    I spoke to one of the salesmen, nice guy.
    I explained what I had and I asked what they have available for v6 f bodies.
    He did say there are heads and cams.
    The heads are out. I could send them a set of heads and for $1700-1900 they can work them (kinda pricey) or add on $850 for new heads.
    My heads were done for $250 but all the parts were left stock, just cleaned up.
    As for cams:
    They have 2, one for n/a cars and one for blower cars. I asked if the cams will work with our computer and he said yes. They are supposed to be 100% compatible with a stock computer.
    I treid to get the cam specs but no luck, he looked for them but someone at the office snagged them.
    I also asked if the blower cam will work with nitrous, I know nitrous cars like a lot of overlap with the exhaust vavles.
    He honestly did not have an answer for me.
    He did swear that the cams will work with stock computer programming.
    He did suggest calling the tech line, I replied I did and it (voice mail) was full.
    He explained about the recent gtp gathering etc.
    I understood.
    He asked me to call back tomorrow if I can't get through on the tech line.
    I'm interested in finding out the results.

anyone have any in's or info?
    Also, got any gtp sites, I might just ask them
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

sorry no info but what was the price of the cam?
    i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

cam specs.. need those. And is it a regrind or ground from a core?

Trasher heads are overpriced. You can get equal performance from supersix. Only thing that thrasher has is titanium valve springs and oversided exhaust valve... which I don't think is worth the price.

You can make up for the stock exhaust valve size with a little more duration. Or reduce back pressure. Save yourself.. what?? $1400

I'd contact supersix if I were you.. I have talked with Tom a little on the message boards and he really knows his stuff.

The only thing the supersix heads lack is the titanium springs and retainers and locks which thrasher has.. With those springs you can go more than .500 lift.

But you can buy the springs/retainers/locks separately and use them with the super six heads and still save some $$$...

Ask Tom@supersix what he plans to do about aftermarket springs so we can go with more lift....

and get the cam specs from Thrasher.
      Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

$300 for the cam
        Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
        nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
        2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
        2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

I don't agree with you Magnus.

Supersix doesnt provide any volumetrix efficiency numbers with their heads, and due to their undersized intake valve they are not nearly as efficiency.

The Thrasher-EP heads up the vol efficiency from .8 to .94 on the GTP heads (lets pretend we have GTP heads), and if they were bolted onto our cars thats +40hp throughout the RPM range - period. Math dictates it as so if their performance numbers are correct.

Being that they can grind the L36 heads even closer to a 1.0 vol efficiency, say 0.96-0.97 you're talking +55hp on a stock 200hp 3.8L V6 with nothing else done to it provided that the exhaust can excavate the gases.

If the new cam from Thrasher is worth a damn, and doesn't mess with the computer, you're talking about one sweet package. Ever hear of the saying "Sometimes you get what you pay for..." ?

On a more personal note, SSM works solely on Ford V6 motors, this is their first try at a GM motor and I doubt they are very experiencd with it. I'll say that SSM did do a good job on their stuff, and it is relatively cheap, but Thrasher has been working on the GM 3.8L for a very long time and definetly know what they are doing. They are extremely experienced with the Series II motors, are confident in their products, and have developed well over 500hp from the supercharged 3.8L's. In my book, I'd rather buy from the guy thats been doing it forever and has proven flow sheets, regardless of the cost. But of course, thats my car, not yours... Feel free to do what you like [img]smile.gif[/img] Goodluck 12sec, hopefully when my warranty runs out, or I start rolling in some dough, I'll be a 12secV6 too - only I doubt I'll touch nitrous :D.

On a side note, does anyone know if the 1.7:1 ratio rocker arms off the LS1 that were installed on the Intimidator actually increase performance? What does increasing the rocker arm ratio do?
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

whooooooooaaa.....1700-1900 for the thrasher heads? or that much for them to do what YOU want them to do to it?

Comment

So wait up im a lil confused!! The heads from thrasher Cost?? And the Cam costs 300?
              I thought that the heads cost somewhere in the $900 range? Some please spell this out from me I m hopin its not 1900 for the heads.
              Silver 2000 Firebird A4<br />3.8 A4<br />14.746 @91.98 Feb /03/02<p>1990 Mitsu GSX 5Spd I just got it.<p>Otis for President 04 !!!!!!

Comment

For the basic heads from thrasher, $900... you dont need anything else from them unless you want it, like the titanium valve springs and stuff - all optional.

Then, tack on $300 for the Cam.

Minimum cost for the Thrasher stuff is right at $1200 + deposit fee. They send you the heads, you bolt them on, you send back your old heads and they refund your deposit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

i'm sure thrasher only ups the vol. eff. because it is a supercharged motor. i severly doubt a N/A motor's VE will go up that much
                  i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

Ok so where is the 1900 to 1800 $$ stuff coming from? is that for heads and cam or or is it like the top or the line as far as there heads?
                    Silver 2000 Firebird A4<br />3.8 A4<br />14.746 @91.98 Feb /03/02<p>1990 Mitsu GSX 5Spd I just got it.<p>Otis for President 04 !!!!!!

Comment

Ok so then wwhats the max heads plus cam?

theres two cams? one for blower and w/o right are they both $300?

Head: basic $900 $xxx.xx $xxxx.xx

What are the gains from the basic vs the others?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deuce Bigs:
                        i'm sure thrasher only ups the vol. eff. because it is a supercharged motor. i severly doubt a N/A motor's VE will go up that much<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thrasher clearly states "These heads will now support an extra 38 HP on a normally aspirated engine, but it's much more difficult to put a number on the HP gain with an artificially aspirated engine as various factors such blower over/under drive and displacement, intake tract restrictions, and your exhaust system will affect the power gain. "

And that is 100% correct!
                        But (here's the good part) These are GTP heads, i.e. for a supercharger. And since the L36 heads can be shaved more inside, they can get an even higher power increase.
                        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Who did u have to blow to get them done for $250??? Typical port and polish is $600 or more easy...

Comment

so this cam won't affect our comps in any way? i want one...

would the cam be able to be used with the LS1 1.7 roller rockers? (probably a dumb question)

dave96(formerly) lol....you sure have a thing about blowin people....

scott

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheCardinal:
                              "These heads will now support an extra 38 HP on a normally aspirated engine.." ...And since the L36 heads can be shaved more inside, they can get an even higher power increase.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a long way to go from 38HP to 55HP, and until they have #s to show for it, you shouldn't make it sound like that's a number that for fact will be achieved.
                              -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X