How Coolant Temp affects Timing Advance - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Coolant Temp affects Timing Advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Coolant Temp affects Timing Advance

Simple, as ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) goes up, Timing Advance goes down.

Excel Spread Sheet
    First Gear Timing Advance Graph
    Second Gear Timing Advance Graph

I took screen shots of the spread shot (the graphs) so those of you who do not have MS Excel can still view the results.

It's very clear as the ECT goes up, TA goes down.

The only thing off in this graph is the 176 ECT second gear advance. I chalk it up to PCM inconsitancy.

So as you can see, a 160 thermo will help you obtain more timing advance than a 180 thermo. You should easily see 1 to 2 more degrees of advance with a 160 thermo.

Now, hey.. lets not all run out and get 160 thermo's. ;) Especially if you live in a very cold climate and you require heat. With my current 160 thermo, I do have heat in the Chicago cold, so I am guessing some 160's are colder than others. I believe my current one to be a 165 or so.

Note: I really wish he had an advanced technical forum where posts like these could be made. Its sad to see a very imformative post be pushed back by "best exhaust" posts.

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Magnus ]</p>
    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

E-mail me the data, and I'll try to get it in the Technical Database.
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

thanks alot magnus thats exactly what i wanted to know...i think i will order a 160* thermo....but im a little afraid of the blistering cold winters we have here in houston [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...and i heard that the 3800 was designed to run around 200 degrees.but u guess with the 160* thermo it would be more like 180

Anyone know of the best place to buy a thermostat from....160* BTW

I was thinkin SLP..they are like $10 thats the cheapest ive found..

Thanks again and the best exhaust is a standerd newbie question..we all asked them at one time :D [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: NBMA4V6 ]</p>

Comment

good info man, I think I might swap my 180 for a 160 in a couple weeks. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

Magnus,

Thanks for posting the data...You are the man! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I haven't changed the themostat in my Camaro yet...I've been waiting on some hard data to help choose the best temp. You post is a great help.

So thanks again & keep up the GREAT informative posts!
          Brad<br />--------------------<br />Black 1996 Camaro 3.8L A4<br /> <a href=\"http://v6camaro.homestead.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://v6camaro.homestead.com</a>

Comment

Just so everyone knows and I know Keith has posted this before. A 160 thermo does not control what temperature the coolant gets, just when it enters the motor, so outside air and driving will determine actual coolant temp. At night my car stays right at 160 and during daytime cool driving on the freeway. If it's cool and I'm in bumper to bumper it runs at about 180. The coolant will still reach 210 degrees if it is hot outside and you are in heavy traffic, the only way to fight this is to go with a fan switch. The major difference is that your engine now has the potential to run at 160 degrees but don't expect it to be there all the time, because chances are it won't. Most drag races are held at night under ideal temps so expect more power when the car is actually at 160. Sorry I added this Keith, but I thought people without them should know, and I'm sure you just forgot to list that. Yeah this info should go into the technical database permanently. :D

Comment

You confirm my knowledge.
              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

i thought u would get more power at operating temp? wouldnt u get more power when the temp is at 200-210 than u would at 160- 180??

Comment

what is the best exhaust? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

perhaps a 'computer tuning' board would be useful (similar to another site)

Comment

well i guess i have to put my experience down too. put in a 160* and my operating temp went down to about 200. i was happy, the sky was blue and kittens frolicked in the sun. then i got the CIA headers and they were so good at not transferring heat that my operating temp dropped down to 160 at best. someone came up and kicked all those kittens. my gas mileage went down and my horsepower went down. my first dyno was about 4-5hp less than my third dyno were the temp had gone back up to around 200-210 because there was no air passing through the car. not trying to discount magnus, but just trying to say individual results may vary so consult your local whoever.
                      i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

Could this be causing my valve rattling problem I have tried everything and haven't been able to cure it :(
                        97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

My car runs much much stronger at 160.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 10SecDream:
                            My car runs much much stronger at 160.<hr></blockquote>

Mine too, I want a larger radiator dangit.
                            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RedbirdV6:
                              Could this be causing my valve rattling problem I have tried everything and haven't been able to cure it :( <hr></blockquote>

Whoah! Still not fixed? Can't be anything major problem right? Coz your SES light is not on.

My 160 made my car pull stronger like the others stated. I have no problems on mine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X