GT1 vs GT2 cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT1 vs GT2 cam

I've looked into buying the GT1 cam for awhile and now that I finally have the cash I'm wondering whether or not it would be a better investment to go with the GT2. Will the GT2 cam give me significantly more power?

If so.....What other valvetrain mods will I need with the GT2? I have 53k on the motor, is a new timing chain necessary (ZZP recommends past 75k) I determined I'll want 90# springs and steel retainers with the GT1, nothing else is really that necessary. What else would anyone recommend accompanying the GT2?

I know i'm going to need tuning with either cam, and I don't care about the P0300 code for now. The GT2 cam, having more duration will probably make the car run richer until tuning. Will the car even run any faster until I get it tuned?

Next question: how much will a good PCM tune set me back?
    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Timing chain and tensioner should definitely be changed.

I'd get some lightweight pushrods to allow you to rev higher.

90# springs are pretty soft. Personally, I would never use anything less than Comp 915 springs.

Gaskets and bolts will probably cost around $150.

Fluids about $100.

Miscellaneous parts and tools, maybe another $100.

Total price will be somewhere around $1000 if you install it yourself.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

What kind of power gains did you see? Is 25-35 hp that they say an accurate number?
      -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

i think that your going to need alot more tuning with the gt2 cam. i have the gt1 cam. you have to do your homework and find out what cam goes best with the mods that you have now and the mods that your going to get done. i think that a cam should be one of the last mods since it has to be mod friendly.
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I just ordered the GT2 Cam because my car blew a headgasket, so I'm re-doing the whole top half of the motor.

Anyway, I researched on here and the reason why I went with the GT2 cam over GT1 was because one had said he had the stock converter and it didn't give him that much trouble. The 111LSA of the gt2 cam, it should definitely hurt more than the gt1. I do have a stall converter so I went ahead and went with it. The same person also mentioned that un-tuned he put down 167rwhp, but with it properly tuned, he put down 223rwhp.

A friend of mine has the intense stage 1 N/A cam in her car and it lopes nicely. The intense cam is inbetween the GT1 and GT2, and her car runs fairly rich with this cam...and believe it or not, I could beat her car. It needs tuning BADLY. I will be going to Texas Speed if the guy here in Tampa won't be able to tune my car with HP Tuners for the 189 add on package.

Motor starts getting redone friday evening when I get home from work. If everything goes ok, which I know it won't ;) I'll post up how the car runs. I hope to have it running by monday.
          -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

GT2 cam runs less lift peak lift, but ramps quickly.

Get the Gt2, LS6 valve springs, stock everything else.

You can rev higher than 6000 on this setup, and its cheap.
            1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
            1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Originally posted by AZ3.8Camaro:
              GT2 cam runs less lift peak lift, but ramps quickly.

Get the Gt2, LS6 valve springs, stock everything else.

You can rev higher than 6000 on this setup, and its cheap.
              How high should I set my WOT shift points for daily driving?

I bought the LS6 Springs, Titanium retainers, new valve locks and the comp hi-tech pushrods to go along with my GT2 cam.
              -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I'm going to get the GT2 also.... are you saying that the GT2 runs a lot better with a Torque converter? And I think I'm going to get mine tuned by Texas Speed for maybe $200. Everyone says they do a good job.
                White 2001 3.8 Camaro, headers, 3 inch dual exhaust, hypertech programmer, C6 wheels, blue racing stripes.

Comment

""""""GT2 cam runs less peak lift, but ramps quickly.""""""""""""
                  what exactly does this mean?
                  what good is duration? LSA? Lobe? etc?

sorry I should go look at www.how****works.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Sickle:
                    I'm going to get the GT2 also.... are you saying that the GT2 runs a lot better with a Torque converter?
                    You'll get alot better results with a better TC. It's like using the cam with a stock clutch on an M5. It works, but it'll work better when you upgrade.

And nice job bringing this old post back up. ;)

Originally posted by ezrollin:
                    """"""GT2 cam runs less peak lift, but ramps quickly.""""""""""""
                    what exactly does this mean?
                    what good is duration? LSA? Lobe? etc?
                    Definitely start with the sticky at the top.
                    Matt
                    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

No, it probaly wont run faster until you get it tuned. It will probaly run worse (mine did).

Get the GT2, 105lb springs, new timing chain.
                      2001 V6 Camaro - VTEC Badged, Abbott Racing Heads Sticker, and Loud A$$ Exhaust<br /><br /><b>BUILT NOT BOUGHT</b><br /><br />14.0 @ 96.44 MPH (Street Tires, Before Tranny)<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54</a>

Comment

I'm going to get the GT2 also.... are you saying that the GT2 runs a lot better with a Torque converter? And I think I'm going to get mine tuned by Texas Speed for maybe $200. Everyone says they do a good job.
                        Get it dyno tuned if possible. It will run alot better.
                        2001 V6 Camaro - VTEC Badged, Abbott Racing Heads Sticker, and Loud A$$ Exhaust<br /><br /><b>BUILT NOT BOUGHT</b><br /><br />14.0 @ 96.44 MPH (Street Tires, Before Tranny)<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54</a>

Comment

^There's no where around here that does dyno tuning on a V6. No one has the software for it. And wouldn't I be fine with my buddy's old LS1 springs? Thanks!
                          White 2001 3.8 Camaro, headers, 3 inch dual exhaust, hypertech programmer, C6 wheels, blue racing stripes.

Comment

And wouldn't I be fine with my buddy's old LS1
                            springs? Thanks!
                            Go with at least the 915 springs. You don't want to go through all that work only to find out you're still getting valve float. This isn't a place to skimp on parts. If you can't afford to do it right, don't bother doing it at all. ;)
                            Matt

Comment

Roger that....thanks. I'll get some of those then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X