Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting GT/GTP TB

Have several issues here:

1st, i am gonna swap out PCMs with a 98 Y87 auto PCM for mine, so i can convert to cable throttle instead of throttle by wire.
    2nd, all GP's have throttle cable, so that won't be a prob (besides fitting the cable, brackets, etc etc to the TB)
    3rd, it will take away recalibrating my speedo when i change to 3.42s/LSD (with the 98 PCM)
    The 98 PCM will also solve the throttle by cable issue.
    Now the GT/GTP TB's are i think 5mm larger than ours. I will also port/polish and fill in the gaps with epoxy in the new TB.

I will pick up the PCM, TB, brackets, cables, etc from junkyards all around. I can make it fit since the 98 Fbods have cable driven TB anyway.

So what other issues will i have?

Not sure what would be easier: getting a GT/GTP TB or getting a 98 Fbody TB and porting it (will be ported either way most likely, but for fabrication issues i cannot decide.)

Scott

edit: If anyone has pics of their 98 intake setup or under the hood that'd be great. I know mike huff has a few and i'm lookin them up right now.

edit: okay i can't find those pics mike, they are the ones of when you put in the new motor along with the cam; the engine was powdercoated blue too, if you could repost the links for me i'd really appreciate it!

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Scott Black ]</p>

Here is a before & after pic of the ported L67TB that is offered by ZZP.

Do notice that these are the 99+ models. Here are the differences, to the left is the 99+ TB.
    http://www.zzperformance.com/images/...x97vs98_sm.jpg I would try and get a later model if possible.

I would strongly advise a MAFT+ to tune. I am not positive, but the MAF, TPS, and IAC should plug in.

Oh, and I doubt the L36 TB will survive much past 68mm before turning to swiss cheese.

DEE
    1997 GTP(13.3@104)-Sold<br />1999 Trans Am M6

Comment

Do note that the GP GT and GTP have different TB's. 65mm and 70mm respectively. I would guess that the GPGT TB is almost identical to the Fbody one.

DEE

Comment

Dee,

I realize the size differences, just didn't think to point that out to myself. Would you recommend the GTP TB more, for any reasons rather than it being larger? And why are the later models recommended? Keep in mind i will also be porting/polishing the intakes as well alongside this to help the bigger airflow get all the way through. I have indeed begun the search for the MAFT+ as well.

Again if anyone has a pic of their 98 F body under the hood, or could take a few for me, that would be greatly appreciated.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Dee.

Scott

edit: when i say porting (as far as any TB goes) i mean filling in the gaps with the epoxy and just barely polishing it. not actually drilling it ALL out, its just my laziness kicking in.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Scott Black ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Scott Black:
          Would you recommend the GTP TB more, for any reasons rather than it being larger? And why are the later models recommended? Keep in mind i will also be porting/polishing the intakes as well alongside this to help the bigger airflow get all the way through. I have indeed begun the search for the MAFT+ as well.
          [ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Scott Black ]
          <hr></blockquote>
          Yes, the GTP TB is bigger and flows more. Unless you don't think you will utilize the extra flow. I recommended the later models because it can be optimized more, but if you aren't going to do all that, then there probably wouldn't be much of a difference.

Good luck,

DEE

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X