reground crank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reground crank?

I am going to rebuild my engine and have decided to stroke it. I have already bought all the parts so I dont need the whole kit from ZZP.does anyone now if he sells just the crank? or if a machine shop would be able to do he same thing to my crank? if so what would I tell the machine shop I want done? any help would be great. thanks.

id say he probably would just sell the crank.
    im sure you already researched it, but it isnt a forged crank and cannot support that much HP. IMO youd be better off to go FI. im not tellin you its a bad idea, its your money. just sayin you might be dissappointed with the results.
    1994 white Firebird M5<br />Flowmasters, CAI, 3.73s, LSD, coated pacesetters, eibach pro-kit, bilsteins, hurst shifter, JVC stereo, 18\" C5 vette wheels, Kuhmo Ecsta ASX rubber<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299</a> <br /><br />Coming Soon: Turbo!

Comment

umm... a reworked crank really is a bad idea. i have looked into this a lot and have tried to talk myself into it but its just not up to par. Dont ask about cryo treating either, that will only help keep it from wearing, not from snapping. It broke at less than 400hp which means it wont be reliable at anything over 300hp which if you are building up the engine you should easily get over. if you want to go na talk to wicked, he has a really nice NA build up and can give you some good pointers. I personally like FI much better than NA, especially if your elevation is pretty high. If you want you can check out my sig for all the FI options available for our cars.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

thanks for the replies. I dont think a reground crank is such a bad Idea. I am still not set on it be a gp with this engine ran in the 12's N/A any one here do that?. thanks for the ideas. I am not 100% sure on this yet just because I dont like that after the stroker build I basically cant do anything else. I might eventually like to use nitrous so I dont know. just thinking about it. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pivot:
          thanks for the replies. I dont think a reground crank is such a bad Idea. I am still not set on it be a gp with this engine ran in the 12's N/A any one here do that?. thanks for the ideas. I am not 100% sure on this yet just because I dont like that after the stroker build I basically cant do anything else. I might eventually like to use nitrous so I dont know. just thinking about it. thanks.
          I'll be in the 12 as soon as I can get to a sea level track. The 13.30 I ran was in about 4500-5000' DA. This is on a stock shortblock.
          <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

nice! yeah I think I am just going to build it without the reground crank. any tips on how to squeez the very most out of my 3.8 build? thanks.

Comment

nice! yeah I think I am just going to build it without the reground crank. any tips on how to squeez the very most out of my 3.8 build? thanks.
              A good set of heads is the very most important part of the build. Don't skimp on that part because in that area there is no doubt that you get what you pay for. Make the compression as high as possible, i'd suggest bumping it up to about 10 to 1. Compression is garunteed horsepower from Idle to any RPM.
              <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

what compression are you running? also any suggestion on a cam? and is porting the intake manifold beneficial or should I just get the heads? thanks for all your help.

Comment

If you go the stroker route zzp sells a cam for that, the GT3.

I belive you have to have the whole kit for it to work as well, the crank alone wouldn't work (I think).
                  2002 Firebird. XM and subs. Tin-can Intake. 180 Therm. Fan Switch.<br />15Kohm Resistior Mod. Flowmaster 80.

Comment

what compression are you running? also any suggestion on a cam? and is porting the intake manifold beneficial or should I just get the heads? thanks for all your help.
                    I'm at 9.5 to 1. I milled the heads .015 to get that. The cam I have is a custom grind and so far it's proven to be pretty good. Its very streetable yet has made power. Porting the intake is beneficial but the most work is in the lower intake. Quite a bit of metal is pulled out of it to match it to the heads. Check out the sponsor section on www.lonestarsix.com for a full rundown of prices. We are trying to get a cam GP going also, you might be able to get in on that and save a little money. Later

Comment

Yea, nice car WickEdSix. Fast.

Has anyone here used that stroker kit. Just curious. Seen it at zzp, don't plan on it myself...just curious. Seems like it would be popular for the Over The Top crowd.
                      01 Firebird A4 3.42
                      Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                      and other mods
                      Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X