Best cam to run with a 75-100 shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cam to run with a 75-100 shot

after I install my cam here in the next month, i want to run either a 75 or 100 shot of nitrous. I was thinking that the GT1 or GT2 cam from ZZP, but I dunno which one would compliment the nitrous for quicker times. I am leaning towards the GT1 since it doesnt set any codes. Also, if anyone knows who can make a custom grind cam to work with nitrous applications that would be cool. Thanks
    2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

Originally posted by Kevin T.:
    I am leaning towards the GT1 since it doesnt set any codes.
    You're going to choose a cam based on the fact that it doesn't set a code? Why not just get the right cam and have it tuned? FWIW, the only time I get an SES with my GT2 is when I idle for a long time.

Originally posted by Kevin T.:
    Also, if anyone knows who can make a custom grind cam to work with nitrous applications that would be cool. Thanks
    You can order custom cams directly from the manufacturer, or through suppliers such as Abbott Racing.

Do you have an LSD? Shifter? Headers? Hi-flow cat? Intake?

[ February 09, 2005, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

well..some people go with naturally aspirated cams such as the GT1 because 99% of the time you are not going to be spraying..and since they do not favor intake or exhaust..performance is usually pretty good with nitrous too..however..if you are looking for a cam specifically for use with nitrous from ZZP i would go with the XP Hot Cam..the specs are very good for nitrous use..lift is not rediculous..LSA is good..it favors exhaust..and some members here have had very good results with it combined with nitrous..if you do not want to do all of the custom tuning required..you can just get a file from www.intense-racing.com ..i believe they make custom grinds and im pretty sure comp cams does too..if you want to save time, money, pain in the @ss then i guess id go with the GT1 since it doesn not require tuning, or valve train mods..Seppo got great results from it but im not sure he sprayed with it..personally..id drop a little extra dough and go with the XP Hot Cam [img]smile.gif[/img]
      <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

Thanks for the help, I plan on running 105lb valve springs and better lifters, retainers and pushrods. Would my car still be smog legal with the GT2 cam? If all the GT2 cam causes is just SES light and has no other adverse effects, ill just go with the GT2.
        2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

Comment

With only a 75-100 shot you dont really need to worry about tailoring your cam specifically to nitrous; that's too small of a shot to really be worried about picking your cam specs around it.

The GT2 would probably be rockin with some tuning. I'm thinking about going that route this summer when I get some more cash.
          AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

I gained 1.3 seconds on a questionable 100 shot... could have done more if i leaned it out a ton... 210/220 .512/.512 115LS
            Also got 40 RWHP N/A without tuning

Comment

Don't want to hijack your thread, but would it be ok to run a GT2 cam with a 75-100 wet shot? I have 3.8's vid on my computer, and I love the way that thing sounds.
              94 Firebird 3.4 - RIP<br />97 Firebird 3.8 - In the works

Comment

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...eck=1068980236

Gives ya some idea's ;)
                Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

VS Cam. I miss mine.
                  2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    5 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X