Camshaft swap out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshaft swap out.

In my 2000 3.8L Series II Camaro, I'm replacing my stock camshaft with Comp Cams' GT1 camshaft. I'm going ahead and replacing bearings and lifters while the engine is open. I'm also replacing the thermostat. Is there anything else I should do at this point? I'm wanting to home port and polish at some point. Is this the time to do it? Thanks!
    -Travis

Re: Camshaft swap out.

Also, do I need to pull the motor when I do the swap?

Comment

No need to pull the motor, but while you're in there you might as well do the pushrods, valvesprings, etc. Upgrade the valvetrain.

I also haven't done it, but cam bearings typically aren't a simple job..

Comment

I had a slight issue when I rebuilt my 3800. I got new bearings and a new S1x cam. The cam would not fit into the bearings. Talked to my machinist and he said the tolerances will sometimes not allow them to go together. The allowable factory clearance on a cam bearing is something past .025" and sometimes you have to cut a bit down on the bearing. Surprising to hear but its the way it is. Cam bearings only go bad when they melt, delaminate, or get debris in them. Basically, what I was told is that if the motor ran when you take the cam out they dont need to be replaced.

You cant really change them when the motors in the car anyways. Gotta take the rear cover off to look at them and take the crank out to make sure the galleries are lined up right.

Comment

Most people if their not doing a complete rebuild will just swap the cam with the motor in, its been done many times on here. In the stickies mousemonster did his , might want to look at the thread for some pointers if your doing yours. Since your going to have it apart might want to do some upgrades like Docta suggested. Also depending on miles you might want to do a new timing chain, etc. Preventive maintenance is always good and make sure you get new bolts that are TTY like crank bolt, cam and rocker bolts.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 04-04-2014, 06:26 PM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            4 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X