slow oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow oil pump

with the engine in my car it runs great but on a cold start the oil pump will take a second to make pressure and I can hear the lifters cycle over.

its not a tick like a bad lifter it is just taking a second for the oil pump but after that it will not do it anymore threw the day and it holds great oil pressure.

do you guys think it could need a new oil pump?

Re: slow oil pump

3.8 uses a oil pump gear that turns with the crank, the gear could be worn out.

Comment

Yeah I knew it used the gear type but I hope it isn't worn out, how long does it take to change one out

Comment

not long, you just need to pull the front cover, so the water pump, crank pulley, etc needs to come off.

It's a couple of bolts, and 3 underneath going through the oil pan.

You'll likely need to change your oil after since you will probably get coolant mixing with the oil when you pull it off.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I wouldn't trust the stock gauge, I would use a mechanical gauge to view it. Then I would go from there. Is it at zero when you start it and then a second or two goes to what PSI on the stock gauge?
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

okay I just started it after a couple hours of being off and what the oil psi does is take half a second to get to rise to 30psi then it rises up to 90 psi within half a second.

but then I noticed the oddest thing that when I turned off the engine that I never noticed the oil psi doesn't go straight to 0 it slowly goes down to 30 then takes like 3 seconds to get to 0
            Last edited by 3.8lcoty; 03-20-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

cold start, sorry for quality.
              http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=b61o...8#.UyuNAYLD_IU

psi going down
              http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=5kg5...8#.UyuNZoLD_IU

Comment

It's not a bad idea to use an oil filter with an anti-drain back valve since the oil filter is positioned on its side on the L36. Most oil filters these days probably have it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X