SLP Firebird GT : Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLP Firebird GT : Build Thread

I've already got it, I just don't have a scale to weigh it yet and I can't weigh the stock K until it's out of the car. It'll likely be the end of the month before I have weights for both of them.

I have a few pics on my phone that I'll try to upload this weekend, I just don't have the extra time during the week. All I have left to do is pull the timing chain, balance shaft, heads, and oil pan, then I'll be ready to clean it up and paint the block and start the reassembly process. I finally have both of my cars at my house too, so I can finally start getting the SLP GT ready to do the motor swap.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

My PA Racing K weighs 20lbs, and I didn't have a scale to weigh the stock one since I didn't at a dealership where my dad worked at the time, and just let them scrap the stock K and A-arms. I think it was easier to pull the stock K with the arms all at once, then do the aftermarket K and then put in the A-arms on. I also had a mechanic helping me out which did most of the work since I was walking with a cane at the time.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Just a pic of the motor in its current state as of this morning. I'll be pulling the timing chain, heads and pan today and cleaning it all up. Maybe even a coat of paint. Camshaft finally came in too, along with ARP flywheel bolts.

Firebird GT SLP
        Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 06:21 PM.
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Good luck on your build, I'm not going to be doing mine anytime soon. I got my motor running fine again , wasn't compression loss like I thought. Will probably start one of many projects I have for the car. Its going to be T-top install, front LS1 brakes or putting the turbo back on. I'm looking forward to your build though.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            Good luck on your build, I'm not going to be doing mine anytime soon. I got my motor running fine again , wasn't compression loss like I thought. Will probably start one of many projects I have for the car. Its going to be T-top install, front LS1 brakes or putting the turbo back on. I'm looking forward to your build though.
            Glad you got yours figured out, I know you've been chasing a few gremlins. And sounds like you've got your plate full too.

I'm actually planning on doing the CTS-V brakes on the SLP GT next winter. It will get all stainless braided lines to go along with it. New shocks and springs will be somewhere on that list too.

Also looks like the cam will be going in NEXT weekend. A buddy of mine is going to help me out with his dial indicator and degree wheel to make sure it gets installed correctly and Comp ground it right. I did get the block and F-body oil pan cleaned up and painted today though. Tomorrow I'll clean up the heads, timing and valve covers and paint them. Maybe the throttle body too, we'll see. Intake was already powder coated, so nothing to worry about there. I'll take a few pics tomorrow evening to show the progress to this point.
            aka FreedStyle
            Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Nice so what's the color scheme?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

pink and purple :rolleyes:
                aka FreedStyle
                Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

My guess is this engine was babied a little too much...lots of carbon buildup in the cylinders.

Firebird SLP GT

Block cleaned as best I could without having it professionally done, and painted black. The primary color for the paint scheme:

Firebird SLP GT

And the heads and timing cover cleaned and ready to be painted. Yes, there's some green grass in the background there...never thought we'd see that this year! lol

Firebird SLP GT

And here's a shot of what the garage looked like this morning. Later in the day I pulled both the cars out and turned the SLP GT around so the engine bay is now more accessible. You can see the room in the back where the guy that used to live here grew his weed; it's now my engine shop...lol.

Firebird SLP GT
                    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 06:24 PM.
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Wow those pistons look pretty nasty, looks like they cleaned up pretty well though. How long was that block sitting? What did you use to clean them up?

Comment

Everything is actually in really good shape, the oil was clean and rockers looked new. Just a lot of carbon build up in the cylinders. I'm sure the engine sat for a few month under the previous owner, and I havent touched it until now since I bought it just after New Years. I just lots of brake cleaner and paper towels and a gasket scraper. The brake cleaner and paper towels took care of most of the junk on the pistons.
                        aka FreedStyle
                        Chaddrich Freed

Comment

BTW, from Rage's thread, you can see in that first picture that all 8 head bolt holes go into the water jacket.
                          aka FreedStyle
                          Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                            BTW, from Rage's thread, you can see in that first picture that all 8 head bolt holes go into the water jacket.
                            Yeah , I was looking at that. Pretty much shows the water jackets.

Comment

An Aluminum Driveshft that I bought used came in today, and borrowed a degree wheel and dial indicator from a buddy of mine. Should have the cam installed and engine put together this weekend! Then begins the real work...pulling the old engine out, swapping accessories, then installing the new engine...
                              aka FreedStyle
                              Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Hope everything goes well, I'm glad your using a degree wheel. Most people don't use one but its the only way to do it right the first time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X