l26 install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• l26 install questions

I am getting together parts and all for my swap like some auto light xp's :naughty:.

But I was wondering before i install new plugs would it be okay to shot some assembly lube in the cylinders before I start the l26 for the first time so its not a dry start.

and would some blue lock tight be okay to put on the engine bolts(intake bolts, oil pan, valve covers, maybe headers) just to make sure they hold there torque good.

Re: l26 install questions

There's no need to do either of those. Pack the oil pump right, and it'll be fine. The only bolts that meed threadlock are the cam and crank bolts. It won't hurt anything, but it's not necessary. Also, NGk>autolite...

Comment

haha is that NGK>autolite fact or preference, I had read somewhere the xp iridium's were great in our cars which is why I bought them.

Comment

And what do you mean pack the oil pump right, I am installing a long block I thought I wouldn't have to break it down to the oil pump?

Comment

I also prefer NGK over any other spark plug, like a TR55. If its a good used engine just using some good engine oil should be good. I would judge it by how the engine oil looks on the used engine, thats if theres any in it. Since you need to swap oil pans you should get good look at the lower end and what it looks like.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ill take them back and get some NGK's then, ill try to get a good look at the bottom end this week end when I start tearing everything off the l26.

im also going to clean my maf and throttle body to while I am at it.

Comment

I guess I just assumed that id it was a new motor it was getting built. If you're not disassembling, there's no need to pre-lube anything. It'll be like a cold start for any motor.
              NGK is a preference thing, yes. I rum TR6s for now, and have TR7s as a back up for boost. And I mean if GM uses them as a factory plug in the L26, I trust em.

Comment

I took back the auto lights and got some NGK tr55's, the $30 difference is a nice to

Just got me an energy suspension trans mount to because my transmission is staring to have a lot of up travel in the shifter when under load.

Comment

I might have just got lucky but this engine is in great shape, oil looked perfect no water in oil, intake gaskets looked perfect,could feel the compression when i turned it by hand.

there was a little dirt under valve cover where the junk yard moved it with out a cap on the valve cover, but i vacuumed it all out with a straw attached to a shop vac so i could get into the tight spots.

Comment

Since you had some dirt in there I would run some cheap oil in it, upon start up then change it out to some good oil, just to make sure to get any dirt etc. out of the engine.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Ive used a shopvac and straw before! Was installing a head on a honda in some good ol oklahona clay. I agree that you dont need any lube in the cylinders but you could squirt a little bit of atf in there if you like. Will lube up the walls and burn off quick.

Comment

well i did the swap this last week end, just have to finish putting the UIM on and all the electrical connections for the engine and ill be done.But i pulled it out from the top with transmission and headers still attached and it was a Bit%$ but at the same time it wasn't bad when i figured out how to do it efficiently.

Comment

Congrats on doing it from the top, its been awhile since I've heard someone pulling it from the top, I bet it was a pain. I'm glad you got it just about finished, let us know how it runs.

Comment

Did mine through the top too. Biggest issue I had was a engine crane that didn't have a long enough boom.

Comment

The engine ran good thought just has a slight miss that i think a case relearn would fix

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X