L26 vs L36 - what's the real difference? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L26 vs L36 - what's the real difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L26 vs L36 - what's the real difference?

So I damaged the "new" junkyard motor that I put in my 1998 Firebird. I need another one. So far I looked around at L26s but they are 700-900 dollars in my area. I can get a L36 long block for under 150 from a FWD. Is it really worth the difference for just a stock replacement? I looked through many threads and found no real reason why the L26 is that much better.

Thanks,
    Douglas

Re: L26 vs L36 - what's the real difference?

L26 are just newer engines. I haven't really looked deeply into them, but I think they have stronger rods and bearings.

Comment

From what I've read about the 3.8s is that the rods and bearings aren't really the issue until you start to mod them, so it doesn't seem like for a stock DD it's really worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amorget View Post
        From what I've read about the 3.8s is that the rods and bearings aren't really the issue until you start to mod them, so it doesn't seem like for a stock DD it's really worth it.
        Lots of 3.8 V6 are modded and are running fine. That's why ZZP and 3800.com and such are selling mods, not for our particular fbodies though. Is just that it has to be modded right in order to run reliably..

Comment

Isn't it just mileage? There's alot more 50k L26s than 100k L36s.

Comment

L26 has forged rods and slighty bigger exhaust valves.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thought the L32 had forged rods..

Comment

L26 has forged rods don't know about the L32.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine
                Last edited by ssms5411; 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X