Throttle Body improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Body improvements

My dad recently bought a new throttle body for his Dodge pickup(5.7L Hemi). Its a factory one but was ported and upgraded in more ways than I can remember and he has experienced a big difference with it. Now to make this more relevant, what is a good aftermarket throttle body or what ways are there to improve the factory one to get a quicker response with the throttle. I'm going to keep up or outdo him in any little way that I can in this little father-son rivalry. Ha ha ha

Re: Throttle Body improvements

Originally posted by StingerZ26 View Post
    My dad recently bought a new throttle body for his Dodge pickup(5.7L Hemi). Its a factory one but was ported and upgraded in more ways than I can remember and he has experienced a big difference with it. Now to make this more relevant, what is a good aftermarket throttle body or what ways are there to improve the factory one to get a quicker response with the throttle. I'm going to keep up or outdo him in any little way that I can in this little father-son rivalry. Ha ha ha
    None - they don't exist - and you don't need it. Polish it if you must do something.

BTW - what year do you have?
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Unless you're adding big power I think our throttle body's are pretty sufficient. I could be wrong but most people focus their mods on many other areas before they start looking at the TB.
      96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

i think just cleaning it should just be enough , i did it and noticed my bird turn on way quicker and responding better. but at of hp gains theres nothing you can do

Comment

1998. you know what his old did have some crud on it and one of the first things we did to mine was clean it out as well as knocked out that filter behind it. But I'm sure there has got to be minor things to help it here and there. Getting that butterfly's edges down to a pointed, sharpened from the bluntness it would have is helpful for the airflow. But I was trying to see if anyone had looked to anything like that.

Comment

Just polished a little bit and uses a 99+ MAF. It is a 98 cable operated TB. I did put the screen back in it. Taking the screen out make the idle very unstable. I have some idea's on using a straight upper intake, but haven't done anything with that yet. This did require MAF tuning.

sigpic

Comment

That sure is shiny! I like it. How much was the difference in tuning?

I also tried taking my screen out of my 98 cable throttle body too and the idle went to hell. It's not a filter by any means, it's just there to straighten the air our to get an accurate MAF sensor read. I also removed it from my 02 straight throttle body and it didn't affect it too much, but it lopes in idle a slight bit till it warms up some. It's not really hurting but I'd much rather have it back in there.. Unfortunately I cannot find it.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Hmm, thats strange because mine runs great without it even before my air intake. If anything I would think the car's computer just needs to adjust but I've had that for over 2 years. But yeah at BigBrian, your throttle body is nice! I'm sure mine still could use some work to get it there.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                  Just polished a little bit and uses a 99+ MAF. It is a 98 cable operated TB. This did require MAF tuning.
                  How do you get the center post out? Cut and grind?
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I pulled the blade and the shaft slides out. Then I just used a cut off wheel and took one side of the shaft out. Used stainless button head screws to hold the balde to the side that was left. Staked the screws after everyting moved freely. The 99 up MAF was more work then the shaft. If your asking about the part cast into the TB for the old MAF I just used a die grinder with an aluminum burr. Then sanding rolls, then polishing pads. Had to mill a recess where the MAF bolts to the top.
                    Last edited by bigbrian442; 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X