Loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of power

2 days ago while driving my Firebird it stumbled at about 3k rpm and went back to running fine. I figured this was normal because it will do so on occasion at high throttle and higher rpm's. Since then above 2500 at any throttle the engine tone has changed to a hollow tone but much louder. Also it feels.like it has no power at these settings. Using Megasquirt to monitor it shows a slightly richer mixture but no knocking. This happens both when running the engine with Megasquirt and on the stock computer. Tomorrow I plan to pull the belt and make sure there is nothing binding and to change the lugs for a new plug set

Re: Loss of power

How about your cat?

Comment

It is a possibility. I will check to see if its glowing next time I drive it

Comment

side note this occurred over 2 days I would think that's a little to fast for such a sudden and severe power loss for a clogged cat

Comment

Maybe an injector stuck open?

Comment

fuel mix is reading fine but it I can smell the cat burning after my trip home today so yea its the cat. anyone have a recommendation on a high flow for a reasonable price? Also may buy the headers to go with it if the original fights me coming off the S pipe.

Comment

I would go with magnaflow but you know those don't last as long as normal cat's you'll have to replace it sooner than a normal one. Headers are always nice:cool:

Comment

A hollowed out cat is working well for now. About this time next year I will be looking at other mods including headers but I can't afford them just to do it right now

Comment

If your cat is burning up there's other problems causing that.
                  Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                  Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

other problems such as what? it seems pretty definitive it was a failed cat when stage 1 was hockey puck sized chunks rattling around.

Comment

if something else caused the cat to fail I'd suggest inspecting your spark plug wires. mine were bad and during acceration she'd act like she stalled then restarted herself.

Comment

Originally posted by A fireman View Post
                        other problems such as what? it seems pretty definitive it was a failed cat when stage 1 was hockey puck sized chunks rattling around.
                        you could be running really rich which then caused the cat to burn up or it was just time for it to go

Comment

it was just time. 110k miles 16 years and quite a few scrapes from the **** roads here in NY

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X