3.4 to 3.8 swap & no i dont want a v8. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.4 to 3.8 swap & no i dont want a v8.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 to 3.8 swap & no i dont want a v8.

i have a 2 camaros i have a 94 with the 3.4 the lower intake gasket went out and i hate workin on the 3.4. i have a 96 3.8 camaro. and i have a 2nd 3.8 computer, wires, and all belt accy. and i can get a 3.8l motor for $250.

i wanna know if the 3.8l motor will bolt up to the tranny(auto) in the 94?
    will the motor mounts on the frame(94) line up for the 3.8l?
    and anything else that would need to bee changed

Re: 3.4 to 3.8 swap & no i dont want a v8.

Depending on the throttle body on the 3.8, I'm pretty sure the 3.4 isn't fly by wire. The auto should volt up, they're both the 4L60E. But as for mounts, I could see it going either way. Worst case, get a 3.8 K-member.

Comment

Trans wont swap, nor will throttle cable, pcm, radiator hoses, wiring harness, or motor mounts. Also the exhaust won't swap, nor will any accessories, heater lines, Ac components, and so on. The subframe will work though.

Comment

Why wouldn't the trans?

Comment

If you can wait till late this month I will give you a good deal on my transmission and Kmember. The engine is blown but you can have that too. .. $200 for Kmember and transmission plus shipping work? The stuff has 170k miles. $50 more and the engine is yours too but it needs new intake gaskets and possibly a rebuild.

I am LS1 swapping
          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Re: 3.4 to 3.8 swap &amp; no i dont want a v8.

Originally posted by Docta View Post
            Why wouldn't the trans?
            Trans wont swap because of the different bolt patterns on the 60 degree V6 and the 90 degree V6. The 3.4 is a one piece housing meaning the bell housing can not be removed like later model 4L60E

You will either have to get a K-member from a 3.8 car or prepare to fabricate the mounts to work.

The computer will be a challenge, if you arent sure whats going on. The 94 is obd1 and the 3.8s were obd2 (I think some could have come obd 1.5 in 95, but I dont think so)

It is however do able, as the 95 year model came with both engine options.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

well i have a 3.8 block (cracked) that i got with EVERYTHING (all accy, comp, wires, censers, exhaust manifold) for $100. thats why i want to go with a 3.8l. can i get more info on the heater lines? and on the a/c do u mean the hoses wont match cuz there is a hose shop near by that does high pressure hosings for cheap. what other things wont connect?
              Last edited by richyrich; 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

in another thread they said that the 3.8 uses the 60* bolt pattern.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-t...8-swap-368191/
                Last edited by richyrich; 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

3.8 does have a 60* bell housing, but the trans still wont work.

Comment

Originally posted by 96blackmaro View Post
                    3.8 does have a 60* bell housing, but the trans still wont work.
                    why? You are putting out facts with no reason.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I'll get back to you tomorrow. I'll check my busted 3.8 one, vs the one from the 3.4. I can't remember the exact reason.

Comment

Just get a motor, tranny, and kmember from a doner car!! Problem solved..

Will the fuel pump need to be changed? Does the 3.8 use a different pump then a 3.4??
                        Jeff ..
                        1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                        2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                        1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                        http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X