Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown Head Gasket.

Hello everyone,

Ran the car too long with no coolant and blew a head gasket. I'm taking this opportunity to have the heads re-worked a little and throw in a cam (probably the GT1). The engine has about 83K miles on it and I thought I'd get some opinions about other things to change while i was in there.

Thanks.

Re: Blown Head Gasket.

Gt1, you won't NEED to change anything but you could replace the valvetrain for added security. Gt2 is a lil more aggressive and has better numbers and you would have to replace the valvetrain

Comment

What's the preferred lifter for our engines? Might as well replace those too.

Comment

When you put the coolant back in, use Zerex G-05, and get rid of the Dexcool. The Zerex Gold has a much lower acid content. I have seen the aluminum rear block plate eaten through from the Dexcool on the series II 3800, even when changed on schedule. I've used it in all my cars with excellent results. It comes standard in new Fords, and MBZ. Your system should be totally flushed out before you use the Zerex.

---Craig

Comment

Either comp cam's OE's or GM LS7's. There's comp cam OER's also but there's a lot of mixed opinions on their performance and reliability. Just do your research. Zzp's site has prett much everything you need for this

Comment

I ran it through a few days ago, on zzp its just over 1k fir cam and full valvetrain. Nothing too bad.

Comment

I originally wanted the GT2 cam. I emailed ZZP my engine specs and they said to go with a GT1 instead. They said the 3:42 rear end won't allow the higher RPM needed to take advantage of the GT2. Here's my setup. 3.8L motor, headers, CAI, high flow cat, cat back exhaust, 3:42 auburn, and eventually a tune done by LETZRIDE.
              I already have springs and push-rods, new timing chain and tensioner as well.. Will get the heads P&P'd and milled .010" and possibly bigger intakes(will have to ask the machinist what size valves will fit). Also port match the upper and lower intakes. Did I miss anything else that I could also do while its all apart?
              That should keep me busy until it gets too cold to work outside. Around here that's the middle of November.

Comment

Forgot to mention that it was a 5 speed.

Comment

Did they tell you that you needed taller or shorter gears? GT2 is my plan as well, but with 3,73's.

Comment

They said 373 was good but 411 would be even better. I have no issue with this because I can shift at a higher RPM. My only issue with the GT2 is passing a sniffer test. Here in Ontario they're getting rid of all the dynos for emission testing and I don't know how this will affect me.

Comment

Damn. Makes me happy that I live in a place that doesn't have emissions
                      Nobody cares that I don't have a cat, or a rear o2. But good to hear about the gears.

Comment

Docta if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it! Lol I have emissions trouble as well it blows A$$!!! Damn state law BS

Comment

How nice it was depends on perspective, my friend. If it makes you feel any better I just got home from a built LQ9 talking **** the entire night -.-...

Comment

Originally I wanted to do the cam and heads in the spring, but I'm dying to get started before it gets too cold. Would there be any harm in having the engine apart over the winter if its outside in the cold? Would it rust without coolant in it?

Comment

If you coat things with oil it wont rust. I know the feeling of wanting to get started on things, but I would wait. You'll have a much easier time going back together with things immediately after tearing things down. Finding nuts and bolts etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X