Low oil pressue in 2K Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low oil pressue in 2K Camaro

I have a Jasper rebuilt engine and I am getting 20 pounds or less. The check gages light goes on.
    I am now running 10w 40 blend of reg and synthetic.
    The gauge never goes beyond about 45lbs. New oil and filter installed about ten days ago.
    Any ideas?

Re: Low oil pressue in 2K Camaro

Does it make any noise?

Comment

No. It was a very hot Florida day, however.

Comment

Its probably not a good idea to mix conventional and synthetic oil, unless your simply referring to a synthetic blend. If your mixing the two the synthetic will have stronger detergents in it that can break down the conventional oil. 10w30 would be a more suitable weight for your warmer climate.

Maybe you'll luck out and your low oil pressure is a symptom of a faulty oil pressure sending unit, but if your luck is anything like mine your looking at bearing failure.

Comment

The oil pressure sending unit was leaking and replaced three weeks ago. The oil is a blend by Mfg, not me. I was getting these numbers with 10w30 and because it is always hot here I moved to 10W-40. If its bearing failure...I am dead meat.

Comment

is 20psi the lowest it gets? the rule of the thumb for you to be "safe" is 1psi per 100 rpms.. so if you have 20psi at 900, i wouldn't worry about it to much... just check for shavings in the oil. is it reading differently than it was with the old leaking pressure sender? what brand sender did you replace it with? harbor freight has a mechanical test gauge for 25 bucks. i've heard some of the cheaper senders aren't very accurate.(not for camaros specifically but still) and its easy enough to get to on these motors... not sure if oil will leak out, if its removed or not.. i'm not using the camaro normal oil filter adapter.

Comment

The check engine light turned on when the pressure got low so that alarmed me. The oil pressure is the same as it was with the old leaking Chevy OEM guage. checked oil level and it was fine.

Comment

for peace of mind i'd check it with a mechanical gauge, either a test gauge. or just buy a mechanical gauge.

Comment

Let's assume the readings I am getting are accurate. Then what?

Comment

well u never answered me, is 20 the lowest it gets? cuz IMHO thats nothing to worry about..... kinda sucks that its that low on a rebuilt motor... if theres low miles since its been rebuilt. i would run some seafoam in the oil 200 miles or so before you change it... theoretically clogs or sludge would probably make the oil pressure appear higher. but if there is something keeping oil from getting to the sensor it would read low. not a very likely scenario. but a possibility. i say put seafoam in, if its low miles because sometimes sludge is the only thing keeping the motor from leaking. theres also, marvel mystery oil and other various oil detergents. including transmission fluid.

Comment

it gets into the red zone and yesterday the check engine light turned on.
                      This happened after driving on a hot day for about 35 minutes. It was at a stop sign.

Comment

i haven't used my dash gauge in years... looks like the red is 0. sounds like you could have bearing failure, or a bad pump...let me stress, testing the oil pressure with a different gauge. if it truly is low or no pressure... u don't need to drive it... if its the pump, you could save the motor.

Comment

I've always gotten 60 PSI at idle.
                          Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

^ Same here. Within ~10 lbs.

Comment

I am going to try some Rislone when I am down a quart, maybe it can clean up the drudge and screen. I know my father in 1960 used to use it and it is still on the market today so, if it was not doing anything it would be off the market52 years later.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X