E85 conversions for f-body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 conversions for f-body

So just recently I got Tapatalk working so I am on the forum finally!

Anyway, down to business. Just last week a new gas station was made around the corner and they have E85. I weighed the pros and cons and thought it'd be a fun modification I haven't done before. I did some research an it seems like there are a lot of options. A piggyback device (like change2e85.com's), changing injectors, new FP, etc.

What are you guy's input? I really want to get it done!

Thanks everyone for the input in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Re: E85 conversions for f-body

Do you enjoy gas mileage?

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
      Do you enjoy gas mileage?
      Stop.

Edit: nm, he asked for input. So I'll add mine too. Do you enjoy gas mileage?

You could run it with bigger injectors and a tune if you want. I read somewhere it ups your fuel consumption by about 30% Then there's all the debate about the corrosive properties, and fuel lines.. and water.
      Last edited by Blizzard242; 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
        Stop.

Edit: nm, he asked for input. So I'll add mine too. Do you enjoy gas mileage?

You could run it with bigger injectors and a tune if you want. I read somewhere it ups your fuel consumption by about 30% Then there's all the debate about the corrosive properties, and fuel lines.. and water.
        There are a few guys on FTV6 running e85... I'm pretty sure on stock fuel system, with the exception of larger injectors and fuel pump. My question would be if your car would even benefit from e85. Are you FI or NA?
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Yes, I do enjoy gas mileage. As it is now, I get about 18mpg, with 30% more consumption I will get approximately 15-16. That isn't horrible and if the E85 is 45 cents cheaper it will pay off in my opinion...

I am NA at this point. And yes everyone says boosted cars are more productive with E85 as opposed to NA but it still will help my car. Just not as much. Being in AZ it is always hot here anyway. So it will help with cooling and knock.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless smartphone.
          Last edited by mousemonster1232; 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Lol how does it pay off?
            1000 miles, 18mpg $4 gallon = $222
            1000 miles 15mpg 3.55 gallon = $236

Comment

I never said in monetary value it would pay off. $14 or what not every thousand miles is nothing anyway. Economy, environment, car may like it, etc. Just figured since it was something I've never done before I'd try it. Also maybe my car being FlexFuel would raise the value. That's all. I didn't mean to sign myself up for harassment by asking a simple question.

Comment

Do you have a way to tune for the bigger injectors and added fuel consumption? I think after you factor in the cost of HPTuner, a bigger fuel pump, and bigger injectors, along with the increased cost of e85 over gas, the overall cost isn't going to be worth the extra few degrees of timing you'll be able to add. You could probably see better gains from spending that money on other mods.

I looked into converting my Z to e85 after an ethanol station opened up a few blocks away. While the benefits of it would be nice with it being a turbo car, it was going to be an added expense that I decided to put toward other upgrades.
                Last edited by pace2006; 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Looks like I would be the one tunning it.lol
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Apologies, didn't mean any harm by it, I just see way too many people converting ,regretting, converting back...

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                      Do you have a way to tune for the bigger injectors and added fuel consumption? I think after you factor in the cost of HPTuner, a bigger fuel pump, and bigger injectors, along with the increased cost of e85 over gas, the overall cost isn't going to be worth the extra few degrees of timing you'll be able to add. You could probably see better gains from spending that money on other mods.

I looked into converting my Z to e85 after an ethanol station opened up a few blocks away. While the benefits of it would be nice with it being a turbo car, it was going to be an added expense that I decided to put toward other upgrades.
                      Yes I do have a way to tune (ssms haha)
                      . If he is alright with it. So I wouldn't need to do any purchases with HPT. And I don't seem to have many more mods to do in my opinion except for really expensive ones.

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                      Apologies, didn't mean any harm by it, I just see way too many people converting ,regretting, converting back...

It's all good. I must've taken it the wrong way. I appreciate the comment. This comment makes me think....

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      Looks like I would be the one tunning it.lol
                      ;) Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by mousemonster1232 View Post
                        Yes I do have a way to tune (ssms haha)
                        . If he is alright with it. So I wouldn't need to do any purchases with HPT. And I don't seem to have many more mods to do in my opinion except for really expensive ones.
                        What is the savings on the conversion from one to the other,is it really worth while?

-JS

Comment

You'll have to wait until you have a functional wideband also.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Haha that is very true. Haha. They still haven't fixed it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X