How much can be decked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much can be decked?

ive been offered a set of ported, built heads that have been deck .025". That seems like a lot and i'd be worried about valve clearance, but I dont know machine shop specs and they may still be fine. I need to know before I purchase them. Thanks guys

Re: How much can be decked?

if your worried about valve clearance, just use a thicker head gasket. it will also keep the compression low so you can still use low octane

Comment

depends on your combo...whats done to your motor currently? I know guys that have decked the heads .060

Also, what are the future plans for the motor?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Nothing but the bolt ons etc. Im plannin a rebuild swap. I want the heads he has to save money on builing a set, bottom end on the new engine will be stock besides, new crank/ rod bearings and rings

Comment

I think you'll be fine with the clearance, I used MLS .065 gaskets on mine, turned out great that was with .020 clearanace on the heads.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

with a stock cam I would think you would be fine...check your clearances though...if the blocks out, put clay on the piston, bolt the block to the head with the same size thickness headgaskets you are going to use, and measure your clearance

Comment

ARP head studs would be a good form of insurance as well. You start pulling too much material off these heads and they just don't have the same support, yielding a blown headgasket or warped heads in general.

Check clearances as stated above, run a proper headgasket as well as make sure the valvetrain will have the correct preload.

Comment

I dont have the heads, they are going to be shipped to me if I buy them, thats why this is so important

Comment

So where can I get head gaskets that make up the difference to take it to stock clearance? If I get them

Comment

I would say you'll most likely be fine with a stock cam, but you should always check anyways...the thicker MLS headgaskets that you get from zzp or intense racing will work, but that kind of defeats the purpose of decking the head...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                      I would say you'll most likely be fine with a stock cam, but you should always check anyways...the thicker MLS headgaskets that you get from zzp or intense racing will work, but that kind of defeats the purpose of decking the head...
                      Im probably going with a GT2 cam. I don't care about the heads being decked other than it rids any warpage they may have had. I'd rather run stock compression. They come with 105# springs, are those too stiff for a GT2?

Comment

You'll be fine with 105lb springs.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X