WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
    Just a little cold outside...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pY7pBn2nQ
    you got that right war shrike lol here in the dfw the roads were covered in ice>>:p

Comment

Okay, cleaned up the garage a little bit and got to inventory a few things that I'd purchased online a while back to see what I have and what I need, etc. etc.

Hello, old friend.

Comment

Looks good , looks like you got the coated Diamond pistons. Mines held up good so far with alittle boost, to nitrous shots and their still going. Its been well over 10 years now.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah, I got them off another guy. Came with the block, turbo, rods and bearings for a price that saved me quite a bit of money off the projected cost.

Comment

Are you going to go with ZZP's forged H-beam rods or factory powdered metal rods?
            aka FreedStyle
            Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
            2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

I'm gonna run the L32 rods.

Comment

L32 rods should be good its whats in mine and has held up pretty good so far, I would go with Clev.77 bearings though.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well, I'll post an update on the car. Some of you know I'd found a piece of the timing chain tensioner while replacing the oil pan gasket. While doing a double roller, I decided to install a better cam from WOT-Tech since I was just two-bolts away from that...

During the install, I screwed up on the measurements on the piston to valve clearance. I am going to have to pay the price for my mistake and have taken a serious blow to my confidence in any further engine work.

Tore it down to inspect the damage and took it to Total Engine Service to see if they can fix my screw up and replace the broken/mangled bits. They'll do some machining/balancing while they're at it and assemble it. This should address some of the things that nagged at me after the original build.

Luckily, the pushrods bent on the intake side, but one valve did break off. I lucked out again as the valve stem broke nicely, flipped and embedded itself flat into the piston.

Dropped it off on Aug 18th, 3-4 weeks of downtime and then a frantic reinstall because I'm still in school.

WOT-Tech Thumper cam.

Dead plug.

But...Where'd the valve go!?

Now Kiss.

Comment

Dont let it effect your confidence. Sh*t happens. Identify what you did wrong, and you know never to make that mistake again.

I felt the same way when I kissed a piston when I put my new motor in. I missed a hairline crack in the valveguide that caused the valve to stick and eventually stay open long enough to get smacked by the piston

measuring PTV clearance isnt the easiest thing which is why most people don't do it and only buy an off the shelf cam that takes little effort to install. Hell, most people generally don't even degree the cam

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

That sucks, what size cam did you go with? I know with the meds I'm on I shouldn't do any engine work, I already screwed up on the head studs so when im ready this winter its all getting redone by a mechanic that I trust. Along with some extra goodies.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                        Dont let it effect your confidence. Sh*t happens. Identify what you did wrong, and you know never to make that mistake again.
                        I'm fine with a lot of stuff, but since that was my first cam install with the engine in the car (previous was done on a fresh, bare engine) I screwed up.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        That sucks, what size cam did you go with?
                        It's WOT-Tech's Thumper cam. I've been asked not to say too much on the specs, but it makes any off the shelf grind look tame and the lobes are pretty close to the cam journal.

Comment

Pm me the specs I got to know.lol is it bigger than the ST5 cam? Since your going turbo in the future I would guess its a turbo cam.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                            Pm me the specs I got to know.lol is it bigger than the ST5 cam? Since your going turbo in the future I would guess its a turbo cam.
                            Lift with my 1.7's is bigger than an ST5. Don't have the specs with me at the moment anyway lol!

This is an NA cam.

Boost motor is still in the works and that cam will be spec'd out once the top end is finished.

Comment

Nice, with my 1.7 pro mags my lift will be about .578/.570 so it should flow pretty well with the ST5 cam and some boost, about 10-12 lbs is all I'm looking for.

Comment

Haha, that's getting closer to the same size ;)

This one might require a flycut of the pistons, we'll see...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X