For all that have eliminated the balance shaft... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all that have eliminated the balance shaft...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all that have eliminated the balance shaft...

I did some searching and could not find a definitive answer. For all of you that have eliminated your balance shaft what did you do to plug the rear oiling hole? I am removing the shaft and am unsure as to what i need to do to plug it. I really need to be pionted in the right direction.
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Re: For all that have eliminated the balance shaft...

I just completed this mod when rebuiliding my 3.8.
    There is an oil journal that feeds the rear bearing for the balance shaft from the back of the motor. The hole is accessible only after you remove the rear cover in the back of the motor that holds the rear main seal. You need to thread the hole and insert a pipe plug in it. I had the machine shop do it but I believe it was a 1/4 or 3/8 plug. The motor has to come out to do it.

If you are not pulling the motor you have to leave the shaft in place and d just remove the drive gear.

Scott

Comment

If your putting on a double roller most just remove the drive gear.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks for the replys, the block is already at the machine shop getting worked on so figured i would go ahead and have this done so i can run a double roller.

Comment

There's a cam bearing for a certain chevy engine, I believe, that can be pressed in... I think the part # is on this site somewhere, or at least the engine that you'd have to look up... It'd be a much cleaner and I'd think safer fix... but... I just tapped and plugged mine
          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I dont suppose anybody has any pics of said hole?

Comment

No I did not take pics of that part of the engine. But when you remove the rear bearing for the balance shaft you will see the oil journal hole. If I recall correctly it went from the bearing about 2 inches diagonally down toward the back of the block and exited near the rear cam bearing hole. Its all covered up by the rear plate that holds the rear main seal.

Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 days ago
              • ssms5411
                Little work today
                by ssms5411
                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                2 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X