help me identify whats wront with my motor... i think its bearings?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help me identify whats wront with my motor... i think its bearings??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help me identify whats wront with my motor... i think its bearings??

ive had both the valve covers off. everything underneath looks normal to me. by valve guides i suppose you mean those sleves that surround the valve stem... you can see them inside the springs when you pop off the valve covers... i am planning on pulling the heads still, just havent done so yet. the air noise is just the intake noise... normal.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

^ Yes I was taling about the sleeves because they are brass it the only thing I could think of that maybe could of fallen in or broke off. I had the whole top break off of one of my heads, it sucked because it was just rebuilt 100 miles before. mechanic said he had never seen a head do that before. But researching it pre 98 heads have had bad flaws in them thats why head builders won't except the pre 98 heads as cores. Good luck finding the problem.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ok.... so here's where I'm at now. Pulled off the passanger side head today. I figured i'd start here cause this side looked more difficult and because it was in the intake port for the first cylinder on this side where i saw some of the shavings through the intake. this is what I saw...

you'll notice more of that brass looking metal sitting on top the suspected piston. all the other cylinders looked clean. the valves look ok from what I can tell. I haven't removed them though. I'm looking at the top of the piston in the cylinder i was worried about, and it has a bit of buildup on top of it, but no serious looking damage. the wall of the cylinder looks ok from what i can see. i need to turn the engine and see what further damage there might be.... but it seems ok.

what might be the best way to determine the valve is good to go?

also... even though i found the junk in the cylinder i expected... and only the cylinder i expected... i suppose it would be foolish to not pull the other cylinder head?
        Last edited by Loochy88; 09-20-2009, 10:05 PM.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

It did sound like something was bouncing around the intake, so pulling the other head isn't a bad idea. Any idea where the brass came from yet? If you pull the valves out of the head and the seats in the head or the valves where they seal to the head are pitted, It wouldn't be a bad idea for a valve job.
          sigpic

Comment

Damm , that sucks you still don't know what that is, if you get the heads milled and a valve job , I will be having some brand new stock size SI valves from ZZP I will be selling at a good price if you want to upgrade and your not running power addders. I was going to use them but with a turbo app and 130LB springs I don't think they'll hold up, so goign with Manely Valves. let me know
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              4 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X