Upgrading audio/receiver in Berlinetta? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading audio/receiver in Berlinetta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading audio/receiver in Berlinetta?

I have a 17 year old brother at home that is currently using my 1985 Berlinetta-Camaro to drive around with. Not that I mind, but he thinks it's a POS and always wanting more than what I put in it. He wants to be like his friends driving new BMW's and pimped out sacks of crap with loud stereo systems that you can hear from the 3rd floor in the middle of a house with all the windows shut. He wants a car that accelerates like a V8, but be Mercedes. eh.

When I first got the car the speaker system was all original. I replaced nothing on the car except mechanical related stuff (Headers to Toque Converter). It wasn't till I felt like replacing the speaker system, a whole 2 years later that I finally did so. For the speaker system I installed 2 x 250 Watts in the REAR and 2 x 200 Watt in the FRONT. I've been using the stock radio and receiver without any issues. At one point I installed a CD Changer in the REAR hatch storage compartment, but has since served its purpose and died.

Since he's driving the car he's picked out all this expensive crap (well it's not crap, but probably wouldn't work in a Berlinetta), so I'm on a mission to find out what would work for this car.

The car is using the stock receiver--is it possible to change that without losing the stock swivel head radio? I know that this stock receiver is having trouble picking up certain radio stations where my '98 can. Or is there some kind of mount that can be made for a new receiver? I haven't a clue.

I know it's possible to connect a CD changer to the car. So that's squared away.

As for speakers, subs, amps--because he doesn't like my speakers for some odd reason, what would you guys recommend? Is it possible to install/upgrade all this in the Berlinetta?

Any advice you guys have would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Re: Upgrading audio/receiver in Berlinetta?

THe front stock speakers are 4x6. Sail panels are 6x9. rear hatch has a plethora of boxes, ready made or home made to fill it.

As far as head units go, I've found www.crutchfield.com to be a good source as to what will fit, and if an adaptor kit is needed. I usually buy the Scoche unit adaptors at wally world or the likes.

You don't have to buy from them, they they do have good tools as to what will fit in the stock locations.

I actually godd good results running an amp into an bass box that was for a klh sattelite/sub system. It fit in teh recessed part of the hatch, and still gave me room to put bags i the back. I have pics somewhere of it.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

This is what the inside of the Berlinetta-Camaro looks like.

Comment

that digital dash thing is soooo funky!! and isn't it hard turning w/a little car i the steering wheel?, or do teh wheels help roll over your knees??? yeah, I had to say it.

I'd say if you do anyting to the dash/radio, keep it the old stuff. I've never seen the digital dash before, except for parts in e-bay. I guess a working one is a rare find.
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Steering is fine. It's a little weird with the turn signal on the dash, but with a little practice you'll just learn to tap it with your finger while it's still holding the wheel. The seats feel lower than the later 4th gens, so my knee doesn't really bang, and it has tilt wheel. =))

I think it's awesome! I want to keep the thing stock looking, I don't want to change a thing on the car. A minor upgrade that you can't really see would be nice for my little brother. I was thinking about getting the following stuff:

Factory System Enhancer: JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep
          - Correct me if I'm wrong, but that will help enhance the signal received by the stock receiver. also allow you to connect newer devices.

Then I was going to install a CD Changer, a new one, possibly a Sony. Who knows. Where should that be mounted? I had my last one mounted in the rear storage hatch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X