3rd gen questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen questions

I've been looking at some I-Roc (Z) Camaros, and i was wondering if there is anything i should look out for in buying one or any notorious problems with these models, and whats a price i should be looking for? considering it's 5.0 or 5.7l with maybe a tuned port injection(??), Alot of them have claimed under 100k miles.

Thanks
    Last edited by IbanezPlayer; 07-04-2007, 01:48 AM.

Re: 3rd gen questions

Really with the motor on these you ask yourself which tranny you want. I don't believe that Chevy never put a 5 speed manuel behind the 5.7 models, only the 4 speed auto.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8RS
      Really with the motor on these you ask yourself which tranny you want. I don't believe that Chevy never put a 5 speed manuel behind the 5.7 models, only the 4 speed auto.
      Yes you are correct. 5.7L 350 (B2L) only came with an automatic tranny. so if its a 350 and its a stick either they dropped a 5.7 in 5.0 camaro body or they swapped trannys.

The VIN will tell you wat engine the car originally came with 5.7L 350 were first put in camaros in 1987. The 8th number in the vin will indicate the engine
      For 87-92 an "8" = 5.7 350
      For 87-92 an "F"-= 5.0 305
      88-92 an "E" = 5.0 305
      For 87-89 an "S"= 2.8 173 v6
      90-92 an "T" =v6 191 v6

also an Iroc is identified by RPO code B4Z

Comment

well i'd really like a manual. so i would have to get a 305 to be lazy huh? unless they did do a tranny swap. and im definately going for the V8 so. and if the car has a tuned port injection it would be an Iroc?

Comment

im not sure but i think an iroc can also have TBI as well but im not 100% sure. But if you want a 350 you can always buy one and do a tranny swap and upgrade? (yeah its more work but hey)!

Comment

I know that the 5-speed is weaker so that is why they put the auto behind the 350. I think that the IROC came with TPI and TBI in different years. I have heard that the swap is pretty easy to do.

Comment

well, what would be a good estimate for the manual tranny and parts? cause i have an auto nerd brother who's always tearing apart his diffs, and axles on his truck..so labor isnt a problem.
              and would the 350 be worth it? over the 305 that is.

Comment

I would say that the 350 is worth it. I don't think that the swap is that expensive ouside of the tranny. Besides the tranny I think that you will need a new center console, shifter, clutch assembly, clutch pedal, cables (?), and some other little parts that I am unsure of. There have been plenty of people who have done the swap and I bet that there is a writeup somewhere.

Here you are, this should help you out:
                http://www.thirdgen.org/manualswap
                Last edited by 2.8RS; 07-07-2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

awesome thanks, ill have to look into parts and what not. maybe find someone parting out there car for things like the console, shifter.

Are there any other things i should be concerned about?

Comment

you could proably get a parts car from the junk yard for pretty cheap too!

Comment

Make sure that you get a tranny that is in good shape.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X